Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Do I need a TV provider subscription?

Hi,
I wanted to find out if I needed to have an active Cable TV subscription (pay TV Provider) or if I only need an active cable internet service provider subscription?

My current provider is Comcast/Xfinity, and I really want to reduce my expenses, but a lot of what I like to watch is only available thru cable TV services. Like TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, FXNetworks, SYFY, Comedy Central, etc. And my local channels too.

Any advice is appreciated. Constructive feedback is also helpful.

Thanks!

-Admiral Blind Man 2019
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Do I need a TV provider subscription?

If you want to watch those specific channels, you will need to subscribe to the TV service. Depending on what channels Comcast offers in their TV packages, check to see if the channels you like are included. 

If you haven't bought your Roku product yet, I would highly suggest the latest set top box or Roku Stick. Reason being, I bought a RCA TV with a preinstalled Roku Stick. The stick is inside the TV and is an older version (3400X) that some networks do not support.

You only need cable and wifi through Comcast to stream free channels with your Roku device. I have Spectrum and pay $70.99/month. I pay for  Netflix, CBS All Access, Amazon, and Hulu. 

If you search the Roku website and find a channel you'd like to add, open the details section and it will tell you if a subscription with your local cable provider is required. 

Think about smart TV's the same as a computer or cell phone. Technology changes every five minutes. Don't get stuck with a product that can't be upgraded. Do your homework before you buy and get all your questions answered by Comcast first. Streaming is awesome. 

Hope that helps you. 

0 Kudos