Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chlojo1
Level 7

Disturbing altered movie content on Roku Channel

Streamers beware!  I was watching the movie SOUTHERN COMFORT (1980 director: Walter Hill) on the Roku Channel and realized about 10 minutes that the visuals of the opening credits were sped up and the normal-speed music track played through the sped up first post credit scene, so that you couldn't hear the all-important dialogue but only the music.  In other words, the content of the film was completely mangled near the beginning and as a result, there would be no point in watching any further.  I did double check by watching the first 20 minutes of the same movie on Amazon Prime and there the aforementioned scenes were kept intact.  I seriously hope this is a one-time technical error on the part of Roku Channel because if I see this sort of thing again, I will no longer be watching Roku Channel again and will warn others to do the same.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Disturbing altered movie content on Roku Channel

It sounds like a bad "rip" of the film to me, if music was playing where it shouldn't be.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
chlojo1
Level 7

Possibly.  But then 20th Century Fox (or whoever owns it now - I think Disney) has its logo at the start of the movie.  They need to take issue with how their product is presented by Roku on its home channel.
0 Kudos
UtahDave
Level 7

Like the other commenter said it's likely the problem is with the file Roku was given by Fox. There used to be a very amusing audio issue with an episode of Futurama when it was on Netflix where the audio dropped out in just such a way that it sounded like a character dropped an F-bomb. A few people on Reddit reported it to Netflix and they said they needed to get a new version of the episode from Fox. It was fixed eventually. When Futurama moved to Hulu the exact same audio issue popped back up again, but Hulu hasn't cared enough to get it fixed.

Best you can do is report it to Roku for them to look into.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the notes here. I've passed the feedback along to our team to investigate further. 

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos