Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YardleyFFL
Level 7

Re: Does Disney+ on Roku (Ultra) support 4K playback WITHOUT HDR?

Jump to solution

Same issue for me with a 2014 vizio p series. Have a 4K at 60hz connection hdcp 2.2 and can watch Netflix in UHD on newest roku ultra but I can’t watch disney+ UHD offerings in 4K. I am only getting it in HD with black bars on the top and bottom. May have to return roku for a 4K firestick. 

jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had a roku stick would not get 4k non hdr. then I hooked up premiere plus did not work either. I purchased on black friday top of line roku ultra have not tried it yet.  My other tv which is tcl 6 sereis gets hdr 4k with no isse with built in roku operating system.  I'm hoping disney fixes this issue by allowing streaming quality choices.  Roku does not get atmos on netflix. They are mandating atmos for alot of new programming so I assume netflix will find a way to get atmos on roku.  If things don't clear up though I believe apple tv 4k though more expensive would have no issue getting 4k disney plus or atmos on netflix.  Atmos on netflix not a huge deal because I really like results from dts and dolby surround upmixer however 4k on disney plus is because I typically watch films in 4k or 3d.  I import 3d discs from europe so having 4k copies with atmos is a big deal to me i purchase all 3d versions of marvel and star wars movies they typically don'y accompany atmos with 3d.  So I was planning on using disney plus to fill my atmos 4k gap in content.  If Apple tv 4k wasn't 170 dollars and like 70 dollars id already have it I like Roku but they need to get their 4k and atmos content on par with apple. 

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Level 7

Jump to solution

@YardleyFFL Is the firmware on your Vizio P series up to date? I remember the first Vizio P-series having issues where they supported Dolby Vision but not HDR10 out of the box (HDR10 support was added to all P-series models in 2016). Remember, Roku devices still don't support Dolby Vision, even the newer 2019 models, only HDR10.

Switching from Roku to FireStick may get you 4K video with Dolby Vision on Disney+, but you will lose Dolby Atmos audio on Disney+ (until Disney gets around to fixing the issue).

0 Kudos
Hilyou
Level 7

Re: Disney+ not displaying UltraHD & HDR even though I have proper Roku device

Jump to solution

My projector is only capable of 4K HDR at 30hz and every streaming app works fine for 4K HDR at 30hz except for Disney+. I'm using a Roku ultra and you guys need to support hdr at 30hz, there's no reason for it to require 60s considering the actual content itself is 24hz. Used to be a Roku fan but I'll be advising against family and friends from buying a Roku from now on. Get this fixed asap 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Hilyou wrote:

My projector is only capable of 4K HDR at 30hz and every streaming app works fine for 4K HDR at 30hz except for Disney+. I'm using a Roku ultra and you guys need to support hdr at 30hz, there's no reason for it to require 60s considering the actual content itself is 24hz. Used to be a Roku fan but I'll be advising against family and friends from buying a Roku from now on. Get this fixed asap 

Roku does support 4K/30. It's Disney's app that doesn't, so you need to contact Disney about it. Roku has no control over how a channel is developed and configured. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hooked up Roku Ultra top of line same thing no 4k Disney plus on 4k non hdr set.

0 Kudos
dlishious
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same issue. I have a 2014 P series Vizio, Roku Streaming Stick +, every other app outputs 4k except Disney+. I’ve tried both the 30 and 60hz inputs and neither works. Help Roku!

0 Kudos
dlishious
Level 7

Jump to solution

So I have a 2014 Vizio P series and a  Roku Streaming Stick+. As others have pointed out, even when connected directly into the 60hz HDMI slot, Disney+ will not output 4K (non-HDR). It doesn’t work when I force the Roku to 60hz or if I set it to auto.

I’ve tried all my HDMI slots but Disney+ is the only app that is not playing 4K content. Netflix works. Amazon works. Vudu works. YouTube works. Only Disney+ is giving me issues. At the very least, Disney+ is recognizing my Atmos speakers and says that I can play certain movies in Dolby Atmos, but still only “HD”. 

What can be done? Anybody else have possible solutions? 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@dlishious  Thanks for the note. Roku does not determine, provide or control any content or content formatting within channels (apps). Not all channels will provide plain 4K content separately from 4K HDR content.

You will need to contact the channel provider directly for any questions regarding their content formatting, or available streaming quality, or to share any feedback. You can reach Disney+ support here: https://help.disneyplus.com/

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Geekmeister
Level 7

Jump to solution

Another option is to ditch the Roku and get an Amazon Fire TV.  For some reason, that device plays non-HDR 4K.  I know that's not a reasonable option for most people but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I opened a ticket with Disney. They were no help. 

0 Kudos