Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tboin410
Level 8

Re: Disney+ not displaying UltraHD & HDR even though I have proper Roku device

Jump to solution
It's the Roku app. I just bought an Amazon fire stick and it pays Disney plus in 4k perfectly
GARoss
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just a follow-up.

After watching "Free Solo" near for 30 minutes I checked my LG app for info & the video quality was now no longer at 1080p but at 2160p! Checking "A New Hope" was now at 2160p as well.

One person suggested I check my HDMI setting for Deep Color & it was. Another said it's the Roku Ultra app because a different Roku app played perfectly. I also believe that is the case. Our internet speed is 80Mbs & Netflix & Prime have no issues obtaining 2160p.

This morning I checked both videos & we're back to 1080p again. It's the Roku Ultra app for Disney+.

0 Kudos
GARoss
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD.

Here's my morning's post - https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Disney-not-displaying-UltraHD-amp-HDR-even-th...

My set is HDMI deep color & the Roku is set for 4k 60p HDR 4:2:2. My internet speed is 80Mbs+ & Prime & Netflix do no have this issue. They display 2160p with HDR on my Roku Ultra.

If you read my follow-up listed above, the videos eventually changed from 1080p to 2160p late yesterday but fell back to 1080p this morning. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@GARoss wrote:

Just a follow-up.

After watching "Free Solo" near for 30 minutes I checked my LG app for info & the video quality was now no longer at 1080p but at 2160p! Checking "A New Hope" was now at 2160p as well.

One person suggested I check my HDMI setting for Deep Color & it was. Another said it's the Roku Ultra app because a different Roku app played perfectly. I also believe that is the case. Our internet speed is 80Mbs & Netflix & Prime have no issues obtaining 2160p.

This morning I checked both videos & we're back to 1080p again. It's the Roku Ultra app for Disney+.

For some reason the Ultra is resetting itself to 1080 overnight, and you have to force it on 4k/60 instead of using Auto. I have to do this daily (because it keeps resetting itself back to Auto), and then I get 4K with no problem. It's not D+ or any other channel. It's the Ultra itself.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 9

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@GARoss wrote:

Just a follow-up.

For some reason the Ultra is resetting itself to 1080 overnight, and you have to force it on 4k/60 instead of using Auto. I have to do this daily (because it keeps resetting itself back to Auto), and then I get 4K with no problem. It's not D+ or any other channel. It's the Ultra itself.

You might want to try the trick of using/adding a 4K screensaver (such as Aquatic Life) and setting it for 1 minute - this may prevent the 1080p reversion issue for longer periods of inactivity.

(Aquatic life will also be available on non-4K devices once added to the 4K device)

rezblue
Level 8

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser 

This is interesting, I will give that a shot. Thanks!

0 Kudos
GARoss
Level 8

Jump to solution

I tried that & it did work at first. But, I have a UHD Blu-ray & the Roku Ultra plugged into my Marantz receiver as well. When I power up the LG OLED the Marantz starts (which it should) & also the Blu-ray sometimes kicks on automatically, too. When the Blu-ray does power up it overrides the HDMI connections & it's screensaver will start. That screensaver probably is 1080p so when it's shut down the Roku's 4k screensaver isn't on. Thus, starting D+ app apparently is preset to 1080p.

Another suggested to "force" 4kHDR@60p rather than set to AUTO & that appears to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
GARoss
Level 8

Jump to solution

This seems to work. I tried another suggestion to reset the screensaver to 4k but I believe my Blu-ray player self starts it's own screensaver which is probably 1080 & voids the Roku's 4k one. Setting to Force 4k seems to fix it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Geekmeister
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have to wonder if this really fixes the issue, though.  I've done the same thing and, though the TV now shows that it is receiving 4K from the Roku, I'm wondering if the Roku is still just getting 1080p from D+ and upscaling it.

On the FireTV D+ app, it specifically says that UHD is available.  On the Roku channel, it only lists HD, even if the Roku is forced to 4K.

0 Kudos
hstein27
Level 8

Jump to solution

I think it's upscaling. Play an old X-men cartoon and your display will report 4k 24hz. It's obviously not a 4k show. I never see 4k on the program description. 

0 Kudos