Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Disney+ not displaying UltraHD & HDR even though I have proper Roku device

Jump to solution

@Toddwrtr wrote:

I am finding this is an issue mostly on 4K UHD TVs that do not have HDR, which is odd because Netflix, Vudu, FandangoNow, Apple TV, and even Prime Video play back 4K UHD content just fine on my Roku Premiere on my older LG 4K UHD TV.  Even more strange, the Disney+ app plays back in 4k UHD on the Fire TV 4K stick connected to the same TV.

I believe the content provider has to offer HDR and non-HDR versions, or it won't look right. When I watched HDR content on my 1080 plasma, it was really washed out and dull. So to look right on a non-HDR set, they either have to have a non-HDR version, or just send you the 1080 stream. My guess is Disney doesn't have non-HDR 4K. Since they are supported Dolby Vision, they have to have that available as well, so they probably decided against keeping a non-HDR 4K version as well. All just a guess, but that's my hunch.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution
Disney just lets to need the user select hd or 4k from user end like vudu does. Some people who can do 4k don’t want it to default to 4k to save bandwidth. If u have a data cap streaming 4k is not your friend.
0 Kudos
jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution
Hdr is just extra metadata like atmos your tv should just ignore it there is no need for multiple 4k versions. Ultra had blu rays have dolby vision hdr 10 and hdr 10 plus they are all just metadata that is ignored by non hdr 4k tv.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@jcm2 wrote:
Hdr is just extra metadata like atmos your tv should just ignore it there is no need for multiple 4k versions. Ultra had blu rays have dolby vision hdr 10 and hdr 10 plus they are all just metadata that is ignored by non hdr 4k tv.

Not in my experience. Playing HDR media on a non-HDR set looks terrible. I just tried one of my 4K HDR demo clips, playing on my Premiere (which supports 4K/HDR) on a 1080 non-HDR set. It looks really bad. Yes, a display that supports HDR but not DV will ignore the DV metadata. But if you want 4K content to look right on a non-HDR display, the media must not contain HDR metadata. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Toogood8p
Level 7

Jump to solution
Did you get the disney + to work on your sony tv app or are you playing thru roku?
0 Kudos
tboin410
Level 8

Jump to solution
I'm using it on the Roku premiere.
0 Kudos
rezblue
Level 8

Jump to solution
A couple times now it's happened that I manually switch to 4K 60 HDR and it actually works for a split second, not quite long enough to confirm the new resolution before the screen goes black again. I still select "OK" while the screen is black before it can revert back to 1080p and of course it results in the screen remaining black. I tried turning my receiver on and off a few times to get the picture to appear and it actually worked once. Last night it happened again but that tactic failed, I ended up unplugging the Roku and plugging it back in to power and after the reboot it was displaying 4k 60 HDR. it's getting pretty tedious to jump through these hoops daily though. Roku needs to do something.
0 Kudos
GARoss
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi. I'm having this same issue with my Roku Ultra. Our LG C8 OLED says the video is 1080P HR.2020 HDR on every movie that is said to be in UHD (Star Wars: A New Hope & Free Solo).

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@GARoss This sounds like it may be a configuration issue for your particular TV make/model. 

In your LG TV's settings, you'll need to ensure you have enabled 'Deep color' for proper HDR playback. See more here: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437131182045-menu-settings

Then, once enabled, go into Settings>Display type and try adjusting your display type to 4K HDR 60Hz, or see if 'Auto-detect' automatically selects this display type. See if you can then play 4K HDR content from Disney+.

If not, on your Roku, try going into Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings>HDR subsampling and try changing this from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2. Then, try playing 4K HDR content from Disney+ again. (Note: Not all content will offer this format. You need to confirm that this format is available on the content you are trying to play.) 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution
Tanner I have tried every setting and every combination of settings with4:2::2 and 4:2:0 auto detect always same result 4k at 60 frames per second 4k content protection(hdcp2.2)
This hdmi input is capable of playing video at resolutions up to 4k.
I have tried streaming stick plus and premiere plus my 4k tcl 6 series shows disney 4k just fine so not a bandwidth problem. I just think disney has married 4k to hdr.
0 Kudos