Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Does Disney+ on Roku (Ultra) support 4K playback WITHOUT HDR?

Jump to solution

@Isidorius wrote:

@RokuTannerD , I have yet to hear back from Disney support on this issue.  I'm looking for ANYONE to give me their experience with 4K playback on a non-HDR set.  I simply need to know if it's supposed to work, or not.  No combination of settings I can change on my end makes anything other than standard HD streams available.

Can't anyone at Roku tell me whether or not it SHOULD work?  Or not?

It certainly SHOULD work. But watching something being streamed in HDR on a non-HDR set will have a very drab and washed out image. The question is if Disney has a non-HDR 4K version to stream, and my guess would be no. So if your Roku knows it's not connected to an HDR-capable set, most likely 1080 is going to be the highest resolution that D+ will offer. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tboin410
Level 8

Re: Disney+ not displaying UltraHD & HDR even though I have proper Roku device

Jump to solution
I'm having the same issue too. Moreover, trying to get in contact Disney is nearly impossible.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@tboin410 wrote:
I'm having the same issue too. Moreover, trying to get in contact Disney is nearly impossible.

Are you getting HDR on other channels that offer it? Do you have UHD Deep Color (different brands label it with different names) enabled on the HDMI port you are using on your TV? If the answer to both questions is no, that could be why you aren't getting it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
tboin410
Level 8

Jump to solution
My TV is not an hdr tv but it's 4k. Every other app like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime all stream in 4k on my TV.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@tboin410 wrote:
My TV is not an hdr tv but it's 4k. Every other app like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime all stream in 4k on my TV.

OK, and again a guess on my part, but D+ probably doesn't have any non-HDR 4K content, so if you can't play HDR they are likely just sending you 1080. Only Disney can answer that for sure, though. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, Disney+ is referring members BACK to Roku regarding this issue. I find this very frustrating and am considering junking all of my Rokus at this point.

0 Kudos
jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution
I do not get hdr but use a ultra hd player and vudu app using same hdmi connection. I do have deep color enabled on my tv. My tv will do 4k and wide color gamut but only does hdr with internal tv apps. My Tcl 6 series does hdr and 4k disney plus no problem so not a bandwith issue either.
0 Kudos
jcm2
Level 7

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Toddwrtr wrote:

Unfortunately, Disney+ is referring members BACK to Roku regarding this issue. I find this very frustrating and am considering junking all of my Rokus at this point.

Disney is passing the buck. They, and only they, have control over how their app works. Roku has not released any updates to the Roku OS that might have broken the D+ app. Disney just didn't do a good job creating it. 

That said, many people have it working well. I have it on my Ultra 4640 and have no issues. That isn't a comfort to users with issues, but it does show that it is working for some. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am finding this is an issue mostly on 4K UHD TVs that do not have HDR, which is odd because Netflix, Vudu, FandangoNow, Apple TV, and even Prime Video play back 4K UHD content just fine on my Roku Premiere on my older LG 4K UHD TV.  Even more strange, the Disney+ app plays back in 4k UHD on the Fire TV 4K stick connected to the same TV.

0 Kudos