Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Does Disney+ on Roku (Ultra) support 4K playback WITHOUT HDR?

Jump to solution

I can't find this info anywhere.

My Sony TV is a non-HDR 4K set, and my Roku Ultra is configured to 4K@60, but none of the 4K titles on Disney+ are showing 4K availability for playback.  Only HD.

Can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to be able to stream NON HDR 4K with my setup?  Or if Disney is ONLY streaming HDR 4K, and anyone who can't do HDR gets HD streams instead?  I've seen conflicting remarks on this point, and Disney has no specific support info about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Premiere image quality on Disney+

Jump to solution

I have an LG 4K TV and I bought the Roku Premiere to watch the new Disney+ streaming service and especially the Mandelorian. It set up fine, but when I went to play it...it wanted to switch to HDR mode, so i let it.  The accept change of mode screen looked great, but after I accepted it, the colors looked like they had dropped to 8-bit.  There was a huge amount of banding and the image looked horrid. I power cycled the Roku and the TV and it looked like that had resolved it, but when I watched the Mandelorian, I saw pronounced banding in the skies and smoke where there were subtle gradients. It almost looked like 16-bit color to my eye with some of the colors just being off by that slight bit you would see in 16-bit movies.

Has anyone else seen this?  Am I missing something in the setup? I know that the source stream it correct because when I see it on my computer it looks correct.  Can this be a bandwidth issue because the Roku Premiere (3920 series) uses WiFi and is streaming a greatly degraded version of the video?

Your thoughts?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Does Disney+ on Roku (Ultra) support 4K playback WITHOUT HDR?

Jump to solution

@Isidorius  Thanks for the note here. Only Disney+ support would be able to answer questions related to their content formatting and delivery through their channel on the Roku platform. Content is handled entirely by each channel (app) provider directly. Please reach out to their support team for more information. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Isidorius if you go to the advanced settings, did you set the "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" to enabled? That allowed me to get 4k SDR at 24Hz. I think this is real SDR 4k as opposed to upscaling by the Roku. When I had that setting to disabled, the only 4k I got from Disney+ was 60Hz and probably just upsampled, because old X-Men cartoons also registered as 4k 60Hz SDR on my projector's info screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Disney+ not displaying UltraHD & HDR even though I have proper Roku device

Jump to solution

Same issue.  Roku 4K device, plays VUDU, Amazon, etc. at 4K.  Disney+ only HD.

Amazon FireTV working with 4K in Disney+ on same network, same device.

This is why we're HERE and not at Disney+, because ROKU isn't working.  Everything else is.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
@RokuTannerD

Here is my report tracker ID 59-456-488
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@hstein27 when I double-checked my settings originally, it was set to Auto, but that was resulting for some reason in a 1080p output from the Roku box, so I had to manually set it to 4K @ 60.  Leaving it on Auto doesn't change the Disney+ behavior, for what that's worth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Isidorius wrote:

@hstein27 when I double-checked my settings originally, it was set to Auto, but that was resulting for some reason in a 1080p output from the Roku box, so I had to manually set it to 4K @ 60.  Leaving it on Auto doesn't change the Disney+ behavior, for what that's worth.

There is an issue with the Ultra, and I believe also the Premiere+, that it appears to detect 4K/60 but in reality is outputting 1080. The workaround is to manually set your Roku to 4K/60. Even my older 4640 Ultra is doing it. But watch for it to change itself back to Auto, in which case you may be back on 1080. If it does, just change it back manually again.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Disney+ not displaying UltraHD & HDR even though I have proper Roku device

Jump to solution
Having the same issue. The Disney+ app works for some titles but trying to play 4k or HDR content (ie: The Mandalorian or Moana) results in an error screen reading: "Protected content license error." I've reached out to Disney+ help and am awaiting a response due to their significant ticket volume from all the go-live issues. Any help or input from Roku is much appreciated!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I enabled "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" and tried selecting 4k HDR 60Hz from the display selection and I still got the message about me not confirming the new resolution so it was reverting but it actually did select 4k HDR 60 and my TV display is saying 4k instead of 1080.

I tested turning off all my equipment and turning it all back on and the display switched to "auto" but it was still 4k being output.

Was just a couple tests and I probably jinxed it by posting but it's working. Give it a shot.
I don't know why it keeps switching to auto though.
0 Kudos