Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Minkey1
Level 8

Disney+ direct button does not work on my Roku Ultra 4670R UHD HDR Streamer

Jump to solution

I purchased the unit on eBay in Australia.

Disney+ direct button does not work

Netflix direct button works OK.

I cannot find any 'Search channels" in the menus to (I assume) download it directly.

Also I cannot find the Playstore channel logo displayed either to download it from there.

So I am stumped.

Would appreciate if someone can help

Ron

(70+) but still tech savy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Minkey1
Level 8

Re: Disney+ direct button does not work on my Roku Ultra 4670R UHD HDR Streamer

Jump to solution

Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain the complications of this issue.

Its become all too hard so I am giving up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Jump to solution

While Disney+ may be available in Australia, that doesn't mean it's available on Roku in Australia.  If it doesn't show up in your Channel Store then it's not available.  It's a Disney issue, not a Roku issue.

Minkey1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

However, it is disappointing. I did do some homework as listed below before I purchased the unit.

1. I checked with the eBay seller if it was OK for Disney+ (which they advised it was)

2. I verbally spoke to Disney and they advised "buy a Roku branded unit"

3. The model I bought is on the compatible Disney+ list

Disney+ works fine on my Lenovo tablet. I suppose I could cast it to the TV from the tablet but

I would rather the box do the work as its more convenient.

I will have another chat to Disney about the situation. If that does not work out then I may as well cancel

my Disney subscription.

Regards

Ron

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

Assuming Disney actually has enabled Australia in the Roku version of their app ...

If the Roku was purchased via eBay, I'm wondering if this was a used unit that had not been reset to remove its old account information.  Is the email address shown via Settings/System/About your address?  If not, it is still linked to a previous account which might not have been in Australia.

Another thing that could cause this would be the use of a VPN (virtual private network) server reporting its location to be somewhere other than Australia, either now or when setting up your account.

If either you're connected to an account not your own or your account was set up under an IP in another country, you'll need to redo your setup.  Perform a Factory Reset (Settings/System/Advanced system options/Factory reset) and set up your unit as though it were new.  If you already have a Roku account based in Australia you'll be able to link to that, otherwise you'll have the opportunity to create a new one.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Minkey1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestions. I checked everything and also did a factory reset but still the same.

Spoke to Disney for 1.5 hrs and they could not come up with a solution.

The Roku box seems limited to only its preinstalled apps (of which Disney+ is not one of them)

My only current solution is to "cast" Disney+ from my Samsung S8 phone which is not the way I wanted it to operate.

Very disappointed in the whole experience.

If someone has a way to install the Disney+ on the Roku box instead of "casting" then please advise....it would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Jump to solution

@Minkey1 wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions. I checked everything and also did a factory reset but still the same.

Spoke to Disney for 1.5 hrs and they could not come up with a solution.

The Roku box seems limited to only its preinstalled apps (of which Disney+ is not one of them)

My only current solution is to "cast" Disney+ from my Samsung S8 phone which is not the way I wanted it to operate.

Very disappointed in the whole experience.

If someone has a way to install the Disney+ on the Roku box instead of "casting" then please advise....it would be much appreciated.

Let's look at the last thing first. There's mirroring and there's casting. To cast, the receiving device actually has the app installed, and the original kicks it off. You can't cast to a Roku (or to Chromecast, for instance) if the device (Roku, or Chromecast in my alternate example) doesn't have the app.

Mirroring is when the device acts as an alternate or second screen.

Now, to the first bit. Here's something that might help you understand that the Disney person you spoke with seems to not have understood.

Roku is available and supported in several regions. The rest of the world in which is isn't support we shall call Rest Of The World (ROTW).

When an app developer makes an app, the developer determines what devices are supported -- meaning they can say "no" to the old 3500 Stick, for instance, or to the 3700 Express, or to any device they decide isn't sufficient.

But that's not all. There's more. The developer can also pick the region in which the app is supported. If they say only the US, they pick that. If they say US and Canada, they pick that. If they say everywhere Roku is supported, they pick all the regions except ROTW. If they want to support the entire planet, they also pick ROTW.

So, the developer can choose to allow the app to be installed outside Roku supported areas. Only, they then assume the responsibility for it working; Roku doesn't support anything in an unsupported area, by definition. Depending on local laws, or companies fears of changes to laws, or fears of silly but expensive lawsuits, more and more companies choose to not support ROTW. Amazon hasn't for years. Disney is a newer player, and follows that path.

So, if you want Disney apps to work on Roku outside a supported area, get Disney to agree to it. They control that.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
Minkey1
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain the complications of this issue.

Its become all too hard so I am giving up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos