Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jrgigl
Reel Rookie

How to turn Disney Plus subtitles on and off

Jump to solution

I’ve recently downloaded the Disney Plus app which I am aware that most shows/movies on Disney Plus offer foreign language subtitles but I am not able to access the subtitles menu. I am not sure if this is an oversight on Disney Plus side or with Roku.

• I have the TCL 6 Series TV with Roku TV preinstalled.
  • I don’t have any problems bringing up the subtitles menu through Disney Plus mobile app so I know they actually have a subtitles menu.
  • I am aware that closed captioning can be activated by pressing the asterisk on the remote but that is not the same as switching to a foreign language subtitle while keeping the audio in English. 

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: How to turn Disney Plus subtitles on and off

Jump to solution

@Jrgigl 

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. To select a caption track, press the * key during playback and go to Accessibility - Captioning track. From here, you should be able to select from the available captioning track. If you encounter an issue with any caption track, please feel free to follow up with Disney+ support to report the issue and request additional help. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Additional resources that you might find helpful:

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Aerp

Jump to solution

Quit Disney on the TCL. On an phone, tablet, etc. launch the Disney app, (with the same account) select the movie you want with subtitles and select the language (upper right corner). Check it has the right subtitles, stop it and launch the Disney app on the TCL, selecto and play the movie. It should have the right subtitle language. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: How to add or change Disney Plus subtitles my Roku device

Jump to solution

How to contact Disney: https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-faq/how-to-contact-disney/

Other Disney Plus resources that you might find helpful:

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jrgigl 

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. To select a caption track, press the * key during playback and go to Accessibility - Captioning track. From here, you should be able to select from the available captioning track. If you encounter an issue with any caption track, please feel free to follow up with Disney+ support to report the issue and request additional help. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Additional resources that you might find helpful:

Thanks,

Tanner

Jibara

Jump to solution

The close caption is an option for all tvs, not a particularly of Disney Plus, the option isn't a solution it's a remedy

0 Kudos
majorr90
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks! Not sure how to give Disney+ the feedback but if you can pass it on: there’s a big difference between subtitles and CC so both should be made available especially if they’re not going to adjust the audio properly for at home viewing. Right now I either have deafening explosions that wake up my neighbors or I can’t hear the dialogue at all. For now the CC works though. 

Dell1

Jump to solution

I have the same problem and the * is not the solution as I have it set for english subtitles and the subtitles on my TCL tv with Roku built in are always in english EXCEPT on the Disney+ app. On every other device the Disney+ app has the advertised closed caption button in the top right.

Dell1

Jump to solution

This answer is incorrect as the problem is in Roku's Disney+ app and not the tv's closed caption system.

Jump to solution

THANK YOU for that very simple and easy-to-find answer!

The Disney+ help page (which the app sends you to) has the wrong instructions for this (at least for my Roku).

Gabs2010

How to add or change Disney Plus subtitles my Roku device

Jump to solution

I have enabled the captions (using the asterisk menu) yet no captions appear.  Disney Plus and captions work fine on my other devices (iPad, android phone) but not my 4K Roku Stick. What's the remedy? 

This is extra annoying as I am watching a movie where they are not always speaking English and no subtitles even appear for that. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Gabs2010

Thanks for the post.

Some channel manages its own content programming, including closed captions and subtitles on contents. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue. 

You can reach their support team here.
Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos