Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TTM
Level 7

Disney Plus Buffers For Minutes And Stops With ERRO BUFFERING TIMEOUT

All streaming platforms (Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon, etc.) are working just fine.  Disney Plus had been working fine for nearly a year, then suddenly in the past few weeks, it continues to buffer at about one or two minutes into any particular video selection.  The buffering continues from anywhere to three to five minutes and eventually "Error Buffering Timeout" appears on the screen with a box for OK to get out. 

After rebooting and unplugging several times, I eventually gave up thinking that because all of the other streaming services were okay, that it must be Disney Plus having the issues.  I cancelled my account.  I then removed the Disney Plus APP off of Roku and then signed up with a brand new account and a different email for Disney Plus.  Sure enough.  I ended up with the same exact problem.  It's frustrating trying to solve this.  Disney Plus support points to Roku and I can't get anyone on the phone from Roku with the pandemic letting employees go or find an actual email address to send to Roku Customer Service to simply ask what step am I missing after reinstalling a streaming APP that isn't working?

I've run across a few other friends who also ended up with this same scenario on their Roku device and switched to an Amazon Firestick, Chromecast or some other device.  I'm happy with my Roku otherwise, but not thrilled with the past few weeks. 

Has anyone else run into this or have any idea what exact steps need to be done to solve this?

15 REPLIES 15\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Disney Plus Buffers For Minutes And Stops With ERRO BUFFERING TIMEOUT

@TTM 

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Estrellita1948
Level 7

I live in Mexico and I have been selecting the Disney+ channel with the remote and it just shows the logo for a second, and I get sent back to the channel lineup.  Before the Disney+ channel worked perfectly.  All of the channels on my lineup work perfectly.

I deleted the channel, restarted the device via the system restart, added the channel again and it did not work.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Coriarius26
Level 7

I have the exact same issue with two different Roku devices. I've deleted the channel and installed it several times, even tried reducing the video quality within the disney+ settings and nothing. I've even reset the modem and checked internet speeds and they're fine. Like this other user said, it is just with disney+.

0 Kudos
systemBuilder
Level 7

On another forum question, it was suggested to reboot (Settings > System > Restart) your roku device.  I Just tried this and it solved the issue for me.

0 Kudos
Coriarius26
Level 7

I've tried that a dozen times and nothing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the channel and nothing. I've disconnected the devices and nothing. Restarted the internet modem and nothing. Disney+ only works if I cast from my phone or watch on my Xbox.

0 Kudos
cwaynem
Level 8

Roku worked fine for months on Disney plus, then started having problems one at a time.  Tried all the steps above on both premiere and ultra (wired and wireless), both on update 9.4.0 build 4200.  Problem not fixed.  Tried installing on samsung tv (wireless ) and no buffering.  Same network, two different roku devices don't work, tv does.  Is there any way to roll back the latest update?

djryan55
Level 7

I have encountered the same challenge.  We have 2 TVs with ROKU sticks and 1 ROKU TV.  Disney Plus is working on the ROKU sticks but not the ROKU TV.  Same error message.

0 Kudos
Snelson43087
Level 7

I am having the same buffering issue. I have followed the suggestion of removing and adding the channel while restarting the roku. Has anyone possibly found a solution to this issue? Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Snelson43087

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's error messages, you'll want to contact Disney+ support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Disney+ support here: https://help.disneyplus.com/csp

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos