Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Discovery plus app keeps pausing

Jump to solution

@JaredKFan wrote:

Well that's the thing, Danny - WE HAVE CONTACTED them multiple times and they have basically done NOTHING to fix the problems. So Roku needs to do that for us, since you'd have more leverage than an ordinary user.

Jared

They (Discovery+) have done something - they've released multiple app updates, which did little to solve the problems (which they acknowledge and are still investigating).

Roku isnt going to be your advocate with some other company (you havent paid them to do that) - you are.  That being said, Roku does collect usage information (including user reported problems via Options) and report it to app vendors, but they have no control over what the app vendor does with the info.

You and other users with specific issues simply have to keep reporting it to Discovery+ and pressuring them individually/in aggregate if you want the problem(s) solved - no amount of demanding/bemoaning/decrying Roku's lack of representation of your Discovery+ app interests is going to result in Roku doing what you want/the app being fixed (aka "wrong target").

0 Kudos
Wingman1961
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

just a FYI. It might have been mentioned before, but the pausing issue does not happen on my Apple TV. It’s only occurring on the Roku. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Discovery+ app was updated today (3/24) to version 1.5.1 - check and see if any issues have been fixed.

jtodd76
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

For the time being, I've decided to hit the back button on my remote instead of pause to avoid this issue. I realize it's not ideal but it avoids the pausing for me. I just simply hit, "resume" when I'm ready to start watching again. Until this is fixed, it's the only thing to do that works. Pausing during the show is what seems to cause this problem as most have stated. 

0 Kudos
Burgemark

Jump to solution

Same here. So frustrating that it freezes 3 or 4 times during any show. Uninstalled and reinstalled but it didn't help.

wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@C_I wrote:

As far as the third party apps Jared, yes, Roku hs no more leverage than the average user because they do not own, manage or maintain third party apps such as Disney+ Paramount Plus ,etc.   Click on the app and press the options and then toggle to give us feedback. If not go to the customer service or su0pport page and see if any of the common problems fits yours and then  use that one to solve your problem. 

I don't know about that, Roku does have some leverage, they could tell Discovery to fix the app or be threatened with pulling them out of the app store, which is probably covered in their app developer TOS (along the lines of inability to provide Roku customers stable, reasonably free of buggy software).

You do have to remember, in the end, it's not Discovery that's gonna take the majority of the publicity hit, it's going to be Roku, because they are the platform (not saying it's fair, but it is reality).

0 Kudos
wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@JaredKFan wrote:

Well that's the thing, Danny - WE HAVE CONTACTED them multiple times and they have basically done NOTHING to fix the problems. So Roku needs to do that for us, since you'd have more leverage than an ordinary user.

Jared

They (Discovery+) have done something - they've released multiple app updates, which did little to solve the problems (which they acknowledge and are still investigating).

Roku isnt going to be your advocate with some other company (you havent paid them to do that) - you are.  That being said, Roku does collect usage information (including user reported problems via Options) and report it to app vendors, but they have no control over what the app vendor does with the info.

You and other users with specific issues simply have to keep reporting it to Discovery+ and pressuring them individually/in aggregate if you want the problem(s) solved - no amount of demanding/bemoaning/decrying Roku's lack of representation of your Discovery+ app interests is going to result in Roku doing what you want/the app being fixed (aka "wrong target").

(Responding to @StreamerUser's comments in paragraph order):

However, we don't know what those app updates were for, for all we know our issue wasn't even addressed in any of the updates, and I'd say judging by the amount of people still complaining, that they probably haven't really done much to work on the issue. Even if they don't know what's wrong yet, putting an acknowledgement in their FAQ section that there is a problem, and that it's being worked on would, I think, go a long way in calming the masses.

As I stated in my previous post, actually, Roku does have some leverage to get them to fix their app, since it's Roku's reputation on the line.

To a point I agree with that sentiment, but we should actually be attacking it from both fronts, put pressure on Discovery from their subscribers as well as their app hosts.

0 Kudos
wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Wingman1961 wrote:

just a FYI. It might have been mentioned before, but the pausing issue does not happen on my Apple TV. It’s only occurring on the Roku. 

Yep, that's been the whole point of this discussion, that Discovery seems to not give 2 rats @&# about us Roku users :-).

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, we don't know whats in the updates - Discovery+ (just like most other app vendors) doesn't publish any specific changelog/version history/etc - that's why I specifically indicate that the updated app needs to be checked and tested to see if any issues were addressed/fixed/etc.

Yes, considering the number of updates that have occurred so far, and considering the continued activity/reports in this and other threads, very little if anything has been addressed regarding these specific issues (as I previously stated).

Yes, Discovery+ could help themselves by acknowledging the issue(s) in a more general public way (rather than to specific inquiring users) - and/or by actually fixing the issues.

No, Roku doesn't have any "reputation leverage" with Discovery+:  "You the developer must at all times protect Roku's reputation" isn't any part of their developer agreement.  They do have other requirements, and you can read them here:  https://developer.roku.com/docs/features/legal/developer-terms.md and https://docs.roku.com/published/developerdistribution/en/us

You might take note of the following section(s):

"12. Support and Maintenance Requirements.

12.1. Roku undertakes no obligation to test or monitor your Application or Content for functionality, reliability, compatibility with Devices, or for any other purpose.

12.2. You will be solely responsible (and Roku and its Affiliates have no responsibility to you or any third party) for your Application, Content and Developer Services, including (a) the development, support, maintenance and security of your Application and Content, and (b) all obligations, expenses, royalties, losses and liabilities resulting from the distribution of Your Properties, including the exercise by Roku of any rights granted to Roku under this Agreement.

12.3. You will be solely responsible (and Roku has no responsibility to you or any third party) for customer support for your Application. Roku and its Affiliates may direct customer support inquires to you, including via your Developer Email Address. If your Application becomes unusable by end users (for instance, if your server goes down) you must promptly publish a message on the end user interface of your Application informing end users that your Application is unavailable. For your Paid Applications (as defined in Exhibit A of this Agreement), the message must also provide instructions enabling end users to contact your customer support. You must respond to customer support inquiries promptly, and no later than the next business day."

Pushing on Roku for problems with the Discovery+ app, will, at most, result in Roku redirecting users to Discovery+ for support, at Roku's discretion - that's the entirety of the "leverage" Roku has, which is exactly what has happened with the Discovery+ app (and every other problematic app).

AStarr
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

No, still not fixed. Repeatedly pausing & leaping backwards. I didn’t hit the pause button. It didn’t start doing that until after the first commercial, & then does it repeatedly in the middle of scenes. 

0 Kudos