Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zerosine
Level 8

Discovery+ crashing or causing roku to restart frequently

Experiencing frequent crashing and or rebooting of Roku (Ultra) when using the new “Discovery+“ Channel. Anyone having the same issues or found a good workaround ?

Crashing and/rebooting occurs every other video. Crashing can be induced by fast forwarding pausing and rewinding operations easily. 

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11\
OriginalCin
Level 7

Re: Discovery+ crashing or causing roku to restart frequently

Yes- experiencing exact same here.

Pause, reverse, fast forward not always working then there is total crash many times to a pixelated screen and back to Roku start up screen. Hopefully just growing pains of new application otherwise not worth the price until it is fixed.

Kidaho
Level 7

Same issue with Disvovery+.  I can't get through a full episode of Dr Pimple Popper.  Just looks like static and restarts over & over.  You can't ffwd to where you were or it immediately crashes and restarts.  Normal TLC app works fine.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Kidaho
Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mmannie
Level 7

Why don't I have the option to 'Remove Channel"?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mmannie

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you do not have the option to remove the channel, it means you are subscribed to the channel through Roku Pay and the device will not allow you to remove the channel unless you cancel your subscription. This is intended to make sure you don't unintentionally remove a channel that you are paying for.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
FrenchFry
Level 7

I just did the remove channel, restart and then add channel. I tried to watch the same episode on Discovery+ that had consistently caused the Roku Ultra to reboot.  It did the same as before, the screen goes gray and the Roku reboots.

0 Kudos
FrenchFry
Level 7

We have two Roku Ultra's.  Both freeze and restart in nearly the same place of the same episode of a show on Discovery+.  We also have a Roku Streaming Stick.  The same episode runs fine on that device and it has not rebooted.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @FrenchFry,

Thanks for the post.

If you're still experiencing an issue, try checking for any system updates in Settings>System>System update>Check now. If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Discovery + directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist.

You can reach Discovery+ support here: https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us
Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
marcialaw
Level 8

I'm having the same issue. I also tried to reach out to Discovery + and they told me several things to do, which I did, and it still crashes. It crashes on other devices as well. I'm not sure but I don't think it's the Roku because every other channel runs fine.

0 Kudos