Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Faithful
Reel Rookie

Re: Discovery Plus freeze, stuttering, hiccups

So far my testing for an hour with hitting pause, fast forward and rewind throughout the episode gave no issues. Will test more later but working well enough to be promising at this point.

0 Kudos
dkpeppard
Roku Guru

After testing 1.7.1 for the last two days watching at least two hours of shows on Discovery Plus, I have not received any stuttering or freezing. This is, indeed, promising.

Something else I noticed when updating the Discovery Plus app to 1.7.1, I noticed my Roku OS was updated to 10.0. I was pretty sure I was on a 9.x OS version the last time I looked. Is it possible there was a ROKU OS update, along with the Discovery Plus app update to 1.7.1, that fixed the freezing / stuttering problem?

At any rate, I will continue to test and report back with any new info.

As a side note, my support ticket with Discovery Plus Support, ticket 414489, is still open, and I've not received any further updates from Discovery Plus Support as of yet.

0 Kudos
Tiajean
Channel Surfer

We are also not experiencing any type of stuttering or skipping any longer. My partner just had major surgery and has been stuck in front of the TV for long periods this week. Discovery Plus is their favorite to watch, and they haven't had any problems watching anything they pull up. I will continue to report as well. I have not checked to see if our Roku has updated as of yet, so all of our findings are without doing anything to push the TV to update.

wem003
Binge Watcher

I'd like to add that with the latest updates I haven't experienced stuttering either.  I don't claim this is because of the updates - but I've watched probably 8-10 shows, paused, rewind, etc - and none have frozen or stuttered.

Skeptically optimistic.

jbassler
Reel Rookie

Our problems have been resolved.

I didnt set out to test the new version, i just used seek fwd and noticed it didnt crash and that the phasing in of the feed had changed.

checked the version of the app to notice 1.7x.

Also now we notice other things like how the feed picks up, i suspect Discovery Plus were forced to $ a third party library and throw a lot of internal code in the bin.

Theres a new bug where if you got battlebots for example, go to a season it says 'no episodes' you have to change season press enter to load that season, change season back press enter.

anyway this main thing appears resolved. glad we as a community got to participate and teach D+ how to test their own work and Roku that they should have some sort of quality standard/testing suite for proivders.

dkpeppard
Roku Guru

Hello all,

I just received a formal update on my support ticket with Discovery Plus Support. The short of it is, they have confirmed the freezing / stuttering has now been resolved. Details below.

Hope this information is helpful to others.

"Hi there,

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we worked to find a solution for the freezing and/or skipping issue you experienced while streaming discovery+ on your Roku.

This should now be resolved and would like to confirm that you are now having a better experience streaming some of your favorite shows.

If you continue to have trouble, please update the following details so that we can triage for review.

1. Do you continue to experience skipping or freezing of the video stream?
2. If you experience a new issue or error, please describe in detail your experience.
3. What is the current Roku system version? (To find, from your Roku home screen go to Settings > System > About)
4. What is the current discovery+ app version? (To find, highlight over the app and press the * key on your remote)"

bbilasd333

I think the problem might have been over 600 episodes in the JSON file.  (22 shows with up to 50 episodes each.)  I've cut that back to a max of 25 for each show.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@bbilasd333 wrote:

I think the problem might have been over 600 episodes in the JSON file.  (22 shows with up to 50 episodes each.)  I've cut that back to a max of 25 for each show.

That's good information, though perhaps a bit beyond the average consumer's grasp.

0 Kudos