Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Discovery Plus Close Captioning stopped on all my Roku devices

Mine did the same thing. On one of my TVs that isn’t my roku tv it offered me an update on my discovery plus and I did it and now that tv has the closed captioning back. Now I am trying to figure out how to be offered an update on my roku tv. 
customer support for discovery plus has been terrible. You can’t call them snd the live chat never works. 

Great question! I have been trying to get customer support for weeks about this issue of closed captioning on Discovery plus but never get any technical support. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for reaching out here in Community.

Does the closed captioning issue only occur on Discovery+ or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Did you restart your Roku before reinstalling the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. 

If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > reinstall), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

I just tried the above suggestion and I can report it did not work for my Streaming Stick +. Just to reiterate what I did was remove the discovery plus channel, restart the device via the system menu option and then reinstall the channel. 

I tested for captions by playing the last episode of Dave Turins Lost Mine. 

My stick shows software version 11.0.0 build 4193-50. 

I would also like to point out what others have mentioned. If I play an episode of the same show as above from last season, (season 3) captioning works properly. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@iodine

Thanks for the update.

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, closed captioning from other channels/contents play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. 

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach them here: discovery+ Help Center

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey everyone,

For clarification, how are you accessing the affected Discovery+ channel? Is it through The Roku Channel or the standalone one? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How do I update discovery plus on my roku tv? I don’t have closed captioning anymore

Hi @Doeadearr33,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

To get the latest Discovery plus channel version by checking for a channel update using your * button on the channel tile, or go to Settings for a System Update there. Then, restart your player.

In addition, could you please verify if the issue you are running into is when you're accessing the content of Discovery plus standalone or through The Roku channel? Does this happen on all movies/shows in Discovery plus or just specific titles?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
sstoenner
Reel Rookie

Well, this brings up a whole new question...

I just tried to access discovery+ from the Roku channel and it doesn't even recognize that I already have a subscription to discovery+... Why is that??

So, currently the only way I can access discovery+ is through the separate discovery+ channel even though it is billed through Roku?

0 Kudos
neboshoh
Reel Rookie

Well guess glad to see misery loves company.  Have same issue.  Getting same non-answers. now into week two and counting.  CC stopped first on new shows, then started disappearing from earlier shows, and now can't even get correct episode lineup for a series.  automatically goes to series 1 even if I am watching series 10, have to back menu down to lower series number then back up to get correct episode menu.  Only advice I got (and happy to share if you know how to do this on your device)was to delete the app, remove D+, clear cache, then reinstall but no one can tell me how to do step one-delete an app-on roku express.

0 Kudos
MJD1949
Reel Rookie

Just for grins I decided to see where closed captions stopped working. Discovery + Deadliest Catch Season 18 episode 8 is where we no longer have closed captions. That was the June 8, 2022 episode. If I watch on Discovery + on my computer I have closed captions. On my TV using my Roku standalone I do not have closed captions after episode 7 of season 18. All new episodes of on Discovery + of any of their shows after June 8, 2022 do not have closed captions even tho it has the captions on up in the upper right corner. 

0 Kudos