Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streams
Level 7

Discovery Channel app not showing all the episodes

I can go on Discovery's website and login with my cable company details and get, for example, all episodes of Deadliest Catch season 12, 13, and 14.  I can watch them there on the website.

When I go to Discovery's app on the Roku 2018 Stick it shows those seasons, but when scrolling thru the episodes it doesn't show them all.  First it says 8 episodes for each season, but when I scroll thru it starts showing 16 episodes, and then stops there.  It doesn't let me get any further.  It took some time to load the episodes when it goes from 8 to 16, but never shows more than that.

I remember int he past that the History channel app was like this, but after reloading it they would show up.

What can I do to get to those episodes on my Roku?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Discovery Channel app not showing all the episodes

You mention authenticating against your  cable service on your Website, but don’t say anything about doing the same for the Roku app? Did you?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Yes, I did login the same way, which gave me access to the episodes that I can see.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I've coordinated with a family member who has a provider that can authenticate Discovery GO (I assume that's the app you're talking about) on Roku. Your experience was replicated. Not sure what may be causing that.

It's not like that on all devices. Apple TV has all the episodes, it appears, although there is a lag after the first 16. Roku's lag was at 8.

I do seem to recall that some apps -- I was thinking the A&E family, not the TLC/Discovery family -- had as basic functionality only a limited number of episodes. Whether or not this is a bug or simply how it works, I don't know. 

Perhaps someone with more experience with the Discovery GO app can chime in.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Thank you for doing that legwork!

I am going to see if I can contact Discovery's team that handles the app.
0 Kudos