Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dinodon
Level 7

Disappointing Stick

I fell for Directv now's promotion of a free stick for one moth service trial,and so far I haven't been able to even see the channels properly.
The Screen goes Black,the sound pops,and ROKU can't even send me an extender because the website says they're out of stock.
Buyer beware.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
cut-the-cord
Level 7

Re: Disappointing Stick

This is not a problem with the Roku Stick.  Do yourself a favor and drop Directv now and get Playstation vue instead.  We just cut the cord in November 2017 and DirectvNow is terrible.  Always buffering and it takes 1 hour to watch a 40 minute show.  It does not matter whether it is Live TV or On Demand, both of them buffer with the blue rectangle on Directv Now.  DirecTv Now is okay during the daytime, but once you get into the evening or weekends, forget it.  They have no clue that they don't have enough servers for the capacity.  There were 4 times in less than 10 days, that there was a Complete Outage, meaning that we could not even watch on the PC through Directv Now.  It was just a blank black screen.  The useless customer support at Directv Now would tell us that they "assured us" this would not happen again.  Guess what?  It NEVER gets better.  They will tell you to uninstall and reinstall the Directv Now Channel. Obviously doing that for the TV on the Roku is not going to help so that we can view on the PC on Directv Now.   We signed up for Playstation Vue, because it will still works with our Roku sticks and we have been happy with it so far.  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MrDifficult
Level 7

That's what his wife said!

Seriously though, +1 on the Playstation Vue over DTV Now by a MILE.  
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

While I agree that PS Vue is superior to DTV Now I think Sling TV is better than both. But, after a good deal of testing and thought I have decided that, for me, no online TV service is needed even though I get no OTA reception at all. 

The things I have interest in that are not readily available through free apps are NHL Hokey and various soccer matches. After testing I discovered that WatchESPN (Charter internet gives me delayed access to the content I have interest in), NHL (Last half of season only), Fox Soccer and MLS gives me much more content to watch, (along with my extensive movie, TV and audio book library) than I can possibly watch even if I watch 24/7.

But I do strongly agree that dropping DTV Now is a good idea as that app is severely flawed for many people.

My suggestion is to deeply research what you need to fulfill your TV needs and then see if all or most of that need can be met by some combo of OTA, free content and subscriptions. In my case to get the same content I have through subscriptions I would have to pay about $120.00/month or $1440.00/year while my subscriptions, with my internet run:
Internet $64.99/month - $779.88/year
MLS $60.00/year
Fox Soccer $99.00/year
NHL $49.99/Half year

For a total of $988.87/year or $82.41/month for a savings of $411.13/year or &34.26/month.

While that savings is NOT huge it also is not insignificant but it is even greater when you realize that the subscriptions to the NHL, Fox Soccer and MLS gives me access to all the games while the best cable packages (or internet TV sub) gives me access to just a few select from each category.

BTW: If you compare to internet TV packages you must include the cost of an internet package as you cannot access internet TV without internet and the internet is usually included with TV packages from providers like cable or AT&T or such. The cost of internet plus internet TV is, estimating on the low side after promotions have expired is about $55.00/month for internet and $40.00/month for internet TV. That is $95.00/month, $1140.00/year for the combo and you still come up more expensive than separate subs of needed apps.

Of course, sometimes (maybe even often) you can shop around and get better prices but no matter the price you still end up with fewer games than the separate subs.

Now you can save even more if you are not a sports fan and you are not a TV slave with internet+Netflix+something like regular Hulu. With that you get many TV shows (delayed somewhat to a lot) and a rather huge selection of movies.

So, if you research a good bit and decide what you need and really make hard decisions that you can stick to you can save a good bit and avoid both cable and the various internet TV offerings.

If you subscribe to services like Netflix for just part of the time you can save even more and most sports packages go about half price for the last half of the season.

One more thing back to the original post: If you need an HDMI extender you can get one from Amazon for less than $10.00.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

I pay $50/month for internet.  I have to call and ask for a deal each year because it goes up to $70 if I don't.  

I cancelled cable television 8+ years ago.  I was paying almost $200/month for TV, internet, and 3 cable boxes.  No phone.  

I now pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime (I use Prime for other reasons, so the TV/Movies benefits are essentially free).  My girlfriend stays over half the time so she puts in her cable account info for HBOGO, Showtime Anytime, FXNow, and Starz Play.  There are others, but I barely ever watch them.  Maybe AMC once a week when Better Call Saul is on.  
0 Kudos
TheBandit
Level 7

I believe the problem is within the directvnow app within the Roku Stik.  I just did a side by side comparison with Amazon Firestick and Roku Stik.  The Roku Stik only buffers on directv now app and no others.  The Amazon firestick never buffers at all.  There is some kind of glitch within the directv now app on the Roku.  If they would/could resolve this issue, then directv now on Roku would be GREAT!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"TheBandit" wrote:
I believe the problem is within the directvnow app within the Roku Stik.  I just did a side by side comparison with Amazon Firestick and Roku Stik.  The Roku Stik only buffers on directv now app and no others.  The Amazon firestick never buffers at all.  There is some kind of glitch within the directv now app on the Roku.  If they would/could resolve this issue, then directv now on Roku would be GREAT!

Try removing the DirecTV app from the Roku Stick, rebooting the Stick, then adding the app back to your Roku Stick.

If there is corrupt data associated with the app, removing the app, then rebooting will clean it off. A clean install would then be possible.

Not sure if that'll solve anything, but if that is the cause, it will remedy it. If it's a network issue (between your ISP and the DirecTV servers, for instance; Roku devices get directed to different servers than Amazon devices) then it won't do a thing.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

I think the ROKU Stick has general performance issues post OS9 update.  While my YTTV seems to work OK my PLEX app is terrible, even worse than on the Stick+ or Ultra for those who know the recent PLEX/ROKU problems.  My Sticks are the latest versions.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos