Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Directv

Hello. I am a current DIRECTV subscriber and purchased this with the hopes of cutting the cord as the price for the DIRECTV just keeps going up. As I was doing my research I noticed that some of the TV example CBS requires a subscription does that mean I have to keep my DIRECTV to watch certain shows? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Directv

The answer is: it depends. Some channels are available for subscription directly, such as CBS All Access. Some channels require you to have some sort of TV provider (cable/satellite). So it depends on the channel you are considering. Also, with some channels you can use a "TV provider" such as YouTube TV or Sling instead of a cable or satellite provider. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I was not aware of the YouTube or sling. I really only need CBS and ABC and Hallmark for most of the family shows. That gives me hope I can cut Diretv out. They have gotten so expensive. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Ergirl wrote:

I was not aware of the YouTube or sling. I really only need CBS and ABC and Hallmark for most of the family shows. That gives me hope I can cut Diretv out. They have gotten so expensive. 

Check with Sling. They offer a large number of providers directly, and they might give you access separately as mentioned. YouTube TV also has a lot of channels, but I'm not as familiar with them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos