Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAMurphy
Level 7

Directv Now Buffering Issues

Is there any solution to the problem of Directv Now buffering on Roku devices?  Neflix, Amazon, Sling, etc. don't do it, but Directv Now does.  It's quick to come back, like maybe a 3-second interruption, but it does it frequently and repeatedly.  It is especially bad during prime time hours, so perhaps this is an AT&T issue.  Love to hear some ideas, if anyone has any. TIA.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
cribou
Level 7

Re: Directv Now Buffering Issues

I have the same issue. I used Sling from a couple of years but I am now evaluating Directv in parallel. I have a 1GB internet connection with AT&T so I was not expecting any buffering with Directv. Unfortunately, at some moments (usually evenings), it goes on buffering for few seconds every minutes. It drives me crazy! At the same time, Sling, Netflix, Hulu and others have no issue at all on my Internet connection. So it has to be an issue with the background infrastructure at Directv. This is very sad as I like their lineup better than Sling and combined with HBO, it is around the same price. Come one AT&T, you can do better than that!!!
0 Kudos

People on a DTVN Facebook group say the Roku app is especially problematic. Most all say running it on Fire TV or Apple TV and other platforms eliminates that problem. So my impression is that specifically the DTVN Roku app is a little wonky.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Here's the thing. It doesn't always happen. Or at least, it doesn't always happen for everyone. For example, I've been watching DirecTV Now this morning to see how bad the issue is. Well, I'm having no issue.

Whether that's because of my ISP (Comcast/Xfinity) vs other ISPs, my device (Roku Ultra, model 4660), time of day (mid-morning weekday), or some other factor, I don't know.

That's not to say others aren't having issues, but rather, it's not happening to everyone. If it was Roku in general, it would be a universal issue with Roku users.

It does seem odd with AT&T as the ISP, since AT&T also owns DirecTV Now. I would suggest contacting AT&T Internet and DirecTV Now about it. They own your Internet service, they own the streaming service, and they built the Roku app.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
BobRoberts
Level 7

I have 1gig from Suddenstink and DTVN buffers on all three of my Rokus. No issue with Fire TV. Just saying...
0 Kudos
Rosemary49
Level 7

Same problem here and  I have Roku.  Streaming only lasts a few minutes then buttering kicks in and it's hours of trying to get a decent connection.  The Bedroom TV is the worst.  The living room TV I have a fighting chance. 

Bought the DTVN modem because they said, it would be compatible with the service more so than other modems.  Bought an extender (?) which plugs into an electrical socket to give it a 'boost' from one room to another.  I'm really disgusted with this.  Cable is out of control with the cost and this type of service is useless.  I may be watching something when it gets to the good part - it dies on m and begins to buffer again, and again.   I may give of eating one week a month just to pay for cable.  :-/  
0 Kudos
Kat209
Level 7

I'm disgusted with this as well.. What is the deal? I bought the Roku ultra and signed up for directtvnow so I'd be all set to watch the NBA playoffs. I wasn't aware of delay, which I can deal with. But the constant buffering during the game is maddening. It's unwatchable. I am very disappointed. And the thing is, as soon as the game is over there's no problem.. I watched the entire after game show last night with no buffering at all. I have no idea how these things work- is it that when there's a lot of action going on on the screen there's more buffering problems?. It seems like that is what's going on. How can this be solved? Please help. Last night's Celtics game was killing me!
0 Kudos

It's a problem during primetime hours, and it's a problem mostly with Roku. If you must have DTV Now, you probably would be best-served running it on a different streaming device. Or if you must have Roku, you would be best-served subscribing to a different streaming service.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

When i first got Directv Now the buffering was awful, then it got better for a few weeks, then went back to being awful and stayed that way, eventually gave up and went to YouTube TV which is pretty close to the $35 package on Directv Now (Youtube TV is $40 but you get local sports on Fox, Directv Now makes you bump up to the $50 package for local sports, so $40 is a pretty good deal if you want sports), no problems so far on YouTube TV.
0 Kudos
Kat209
Level 7

Scot was correct above.. 
Tonight's Warrior game started being painful to watch with all the buffering -- so during halftime I decided to sign up for slingtv and try it. - Absolutely NO buffering during the 2nd half. I'm now a Sling customer =)
0 Kudos