Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lena1978
Level 7

Different areas of news on different days

We use direct tv to get local channels in another room, and I utilize the NBC app for the news in the morning.  Our direct TV has Madison news, but the Roku will flip flop between offering Wausau/ Rhinelander (WAY up north no where near us) and occasionally be Madison news.  Why would it change, why isn't it biased on our current Direct TV that is connected to the NBC app and how do I keep it picking up Madison?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andyross
Level 15

Re: Different areas of news on different days

The NBC app probably uses the IP address to find the closest station. Depending on how often your IP changes with your ISP, it may appear to point to one area or another. Geolocation based on IP address is always iffy and not very accurate, as ISP's constantly shuffle addresses around, and the databases are mostly created by volunteers and other methods, and not from any info officially from ISP's.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Channels that are location-specific generally determine your location via your public IP address, something that can change often, depending on your ISP. My ISP generally changes my IP address every few days, but they can do it on whatever schedule they desire. If your IP address change makes it appear you've moved, that's certainly possible, and would explain why your news feed changes location. Some ISPs will lease you a static IP address, which never changes, but for most home users that's an unnecessary expense.

However, I would expect a channel that is authenticated via a TV provider account, such as yours, to use your listed home address as the location feed. Only the channel provider (NBC in this case) can answer why it's doing that to you. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

It really is up to the software and how it's reported. On my X1 box, if I try to use the Live CBS feed for Paramount+, it defaults to a station in Kansas instead of my local Chicago station. The Roku gets it right in that case.

0 Kudos