Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rksparky
Level 7

Re: Did Roku really get rid of the Spectrum app?

Here are the numbers to think about..

1 TV = cable box $5-10 a month x 12 =$60-120 every year plus tax and fees vs Roku $30-100 plus tax as a one time fee.. not sure after reading reports who to blame. Read articles say Roku some say it’s Spectrum. Seems lister year AT&A customers also went through this issue.. Reality is Roku offers users way to add TV service with out a coaxial cable and one power outlet in most cases. We all buy into a company that bottom line seems to want to be like Spectrum and not care about there customers. I am about to just boot up my Apple TV I have laying around and buy few more Apple TV’s. At least I know they will work and way to big for a Company like Spectrum to mess with, and at least responds to there customers in help section when people comment... Just saying Roku not peep from your staff towards anyone talking about this issue..

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@RokIsRipOff wrote:

My point was that I having bought a Roku box should not suddenly have all my channels that I purchase the Roku box for ripped away because Roku needs a taste from both ends. To your point that there are currently 40 million users these are recent actions so you won't know how they've affected the company by looking at how they are now. Also somebody pointed out that they have thousands of apps. Do they, do do they? DirecTV claims to have thousands of channels but only a dozen of them are worth watching to any given user. And the few that you did list such as Hulu or YouTube those are available on every freaking platform in the world. It's not really something that Roku gets to claim they excel in. What Roku had that nobody else had is that I can replace my cable box and my expensive bunch of fees from the cable company with an app on a box that I own that I control. In the last 6 months they've discontinued many of the products that made roku a unique choice. In fact them kicking HBO Max off is like taking YouTube off it's a really dumb business decision.

When there is a contract between two companies, and that contract expires, the situation changes. That's what happened here. I completely agree that it's a mess for many, many users. But neither company is in breech of contract for their users. The Roku terms of service states that offered channels can be removed without notice. Not being a Spectrum customer I have no idea what is contained in their user contract. But I seriously doubt there's anything in there about requiring support for 3rd party devices for providing their content. 

I agree it's great to have an option other than renting a cable box. Comcast offers something similar, but from all the complaints I see about it, it doesn't seem they care too much about supporting it. Sounds like the Spectrum channel was vastly better. 

I'm not certain what you mean by discontinuing products over the last 6 months. HBO Max was never discontinued. It was a delayed release on Roku devices (as well as Fire TV) while they negotiated terms. But it's there now, and the app works better on Roku devices than it does on Android TV players like my Shield. I'm not aware of any other significant channels being removed from Roku. To what are you referring? 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Rksparky wrote:

Here are the numbers to think about..

1 TV = cable box $5-10 a month x 12 =$60-120 every year plus tax and fees vs Roku $30-100 plus tax as a one time fee.. not sure after reading reports who to blame. Read articles say Roku some say it’s Spectrum. Seems lister year AT&A customers also went through this issue.. Reality is Roku offers users way to add TV service with out a coaxial cable and one power outlet in most cases. We all buy into a company that bottom line seems to want to be like Spectrum and not care about there customers. I am about to just boot up my Apple TV I have laying around and buy few more Apple TV’s. At least I know they will work and way to big for a Company like Spectrum to mess with, and at least responds to there customers in help section when people comment... Just saying Roku not peep from your staff towards anyone talking about this issue..

Yes, it can really add up over time. And for all of you I hope they come to an agreement and return the channel.

The Apple TV is another reasonable choice for streaming. But at this moment there is no single streaming device that "does it all". Apple TV does not have some apps or support certain functions. Same is true with Roku, Fire TV, and Android TV devices like the Shield. They all lack something. Until such time that someone creates the perfect streaming player, many of us have decided to own multiple devices, and use each for what they do best. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
PrplHayes
Level 9

Spectrum App

That’s it for me and Roku. You can’t suck me in and then take away the Spectrum app because of your fighting over the $$$. I may cut my cord, but it won’t be with Roku. (Good news though: I found out I can watch TV on my phone.)

0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 13

Re: Spectrum App

Nobody "took it away".  If you had it already, you still have it.  You just can't download it again until Spectrum agrees to terms.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-app-update-roku-users/

0 Kudos
rherrema
Level 8

I just started to get the notifications.  This is unacceptable on Roku's part.  I have 5 devices and Spectrum is my TV provider.  I have put a lot of time and money into settling in on a hardware and software package that works well. To simply drop Spectrum without notice or options tells you a lot about the trustworthiness of Roku.  I could easily switch to another TV provider, but they aren't the issue here. While it may be  expensive on my part to replace all 5 ROKU devices with Fire Sticks or Apple TV's, ROKU has shown that they can not be trusted.

0 Kudos
PrplHayes
Level 9

Re: Spectrum App

That would be helpful if it was true. Of my four TV's, two Roku TVs and two with Roku sticks, all of which had the Spectrum app installed, the app disappeared on three of them within a week of the announcement, and not available to reinstall. So I disagree.

0 Kudos
DF2
Level 7

Spectrum app

In the past, in order to fix an apparent glitch, I’ve deleted and reinstalled the Spectrum app.

in an attempt to remedy a recent glitch, I deleted the Spectrum app a couple of days ago only to find that Roku and Spectrum are sparring over fees. So the Spectrum app is not currently available. 

‘’Roku - when is this going to be settled?

tonylom3
Level 8

Yeah, please add the Spectrum TV app back to the channel store already, will ya?

tonylom3
Level 8

Please add the Spectum TV app back to the channel store already, will ya?