Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daxproduck
Level 7

DTS files not folding down to dd5.1 when dts is disabled

I’m using Plex as my media server and most of my media are bluray rips with DTS audio.

I’m affected by the DTS sync issue seen in this thread https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=100471

I’m trying to find a workaround I can live with while we wait for a fix.

If I select either Dolby Digital only, or Dolby Digital+ only, the sync issue is fixed, but it plays back in pcm stereo.

Shouldn’t it convert the dts file to DD5.1?

If I could at least still listen in surround, I’d be willing to wait for a dts fix. If not, I’ll likely be returning my Roku Ultra.

Any advice?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: DTS files not folding down to dd5.1 when dts is disabled

Isn't this more of a Plex question? Have you tried their forum? My only suggestion would be to re-encode using AC-3 5.1 and then Plex could direct play. You should be able to copy the video track and only re-encode the audio.

-JT
0 Kudos
kpfleming
Level 7

This is indeed a Plex issue, and I ran into similar problems. You can easily re-encode the audio track to AC3 5.1 using various tools (Handbrake, for an example, although Handbrake will also re-encode the video which takes extra time). This will provide other benefits in that you'll be able to Direct Play the file and eliminate the CPU burden during playback on the Plex server.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Definitely not interested in converting my entire library.

I was hoping for some kind of fix like editing this he roku profile in Plex to get Plex to serve ac3 instead.

If this isn’t possible I’ll probably just ditch the roku. The dts bug is already pretty unforgivable.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

"Daxproduck" wrote:

I was hoping for some kind of fix like editing this he roku profile in Plex to get Plex to serve ac3 instead.

If this isn’t possible I’ll probably just ditch the roku.  The dts bug is already pretty unforgivable.

Yup after a year+ and still not fixed. Roku has gone down the drain. How hard is it to get a media player that can actually play media. Instead they seem focused on all this other stuff like Roku soundbar...
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"Daxproduck" wrote:

If this isn’t possible I’ll probably just ditch the roku.  The dts bug is already pretty unforgivable.

The problem is that the DTS 'Issue' infects just about everything that is Plex... at least in some way.

Xmedia Recode will slap that DTS into AC3 5.1 in moments:
Copy Video - Convert Audio - Normalize the levels while you're at it, and if you make it a regular ritual before adding your media pain levels are greatly reduced.
(you can also convert via large blocks in a queue in Xmedia Recode)

Perfect Solution?
Hardly.
When you consider the DTS train wreck that is many (most?) of the Plex Apps - and a year gone by with a DTS open wound on Rokus - you can wait and pray - or do something about it.

https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

My old Apple TV with plexconnect was fine for dts, and so was my ps4.

This is a roku problem. Not a Plex problem.

I’ve ordered a shield tv and the roku is going back to the store.
0 Kudos
Daxproduck
Level 7

Found a workaround I can live with!!!!

Get the old Plex Classic channel: https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/plex-classic

In the audio settings disable dts, but leave ac3 enabled

Dts will now play as Dolby digital and play in sync!

Not a perfect solution, as I do notice a different quality difference between DD and DTS, but I can live with this for now.
0 Kudos