Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: CraveTV on Roku?

Jump to solution

So why wouldn't they do that?  Roku is supposed to have the largest market share in streaming devices so then Roku should be your third most important device after iOS and Android.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just called Crave to ask the status of adding its service to Roku and I was told by the agent that it’s working on getting it on all streaming devices but there is no date, so who knows!  I was only pointed to this web page:  https://www.crave.ca/en/support/which-devices-does-crave-support-35731641  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Check out the date of the first post. There is no “coming soon”. The reason the app is not on Crave is political (corporate politics). It does not take years to develop an app for Roku. The app already exists as well. However, they will not tell you this.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Explain the politics? 

There are Crave apps for iOS, Android, Apple TV, Fire TV, Xbox, Samsung TVs, and Android TV.  So almost all of the popular platforms, except Roku and Sony Playstation are supported.  So what is the politcal reason for not having a Crave app on Roku?

And one of the annoying things is that Crave only lets you have five devices authorized.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Exactly! With all the platforms available, it’s clear that it is not a case of being in development. The exact political reason would only be known by insiders. Speculation would be some type of conflict of interest and/or disagreement on monetary issues.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I will buy a disagreement over monetary issues but is isn't "Bell doesn't want to make Crave available on streaming devices" as Crave is available on pretty much every other major platform, with the exception of Roku.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is one of the reasons why I returned my Roku sticks, the other reason was technical issues on all 4 devices where the remotes would stop working daily. 

I did an analysis of 3 streaming devices and Roku is missing Crave, CTV, CityTV, CBC Gem, and A&E for Canadians, yet AppleTV has them all, and Amazon Fire is only missing CityTV of those I listed.  Roku, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV all had Global TV.

Roku is limited for Canadians, so base your streaming device on your viewing preferences.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just went through the hoops to figure this one out as well. I should be able to answer both of your questions.

CraveTV, which used to be TMN (The Movie Network), is owned by Bell. The only way to watch CraveTV via Roku is via the Vmedia app on Roku. VMedia is also owned by Bell.

The only way to subscribe to VMedia as a TV option is to also get their internet service.

Bell is using CraveTV/Vmedia as a way to entice using their internet services as a value add to differentiate from other service providers. This would be why CraveTV is not an option on its own for Roku and why there is so much confusion about it. I don't know why this isn't said pretty much anywhere online in such a forthcoming way, but there is the answer.

It *IS* available on Roku contrary to everywhere you look. Just not in a convenient way like everything else is. I still don't know why you can clearly get it on Android, iOS etc. However, the internet service requirement might still apply? I don't know yet.

The answer given at the beginning of the thread with the link back to VMedia is the best answer.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

But then why is Crave available as a native app on FireTV, Xbox One, etc.  Why not allow it on Roku but allow it on other similar platforms?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@wayner wrote:

But then why is Crave available as a native app on FireTV, Xbox One, etc.  Why not allow it on Roku but allow it on other similar platforms?

I did say that I don't know why. Only Bell can answer that question. It has to be about licensing deals (exclusives), or revenue conflict as I mentioned the value add to their internet service. Even on Android there are a few oddities where there are hold outs that make no sense but are related to exclusive licensing. They are available on Roku, iOS etc but not on Android. The same for Roku concerning CraveTV and a few other channels that are available on VMedia. Backdoor dealings that we are not privy to.

The point is that CraveTV is in fact available for Roku. =) Just not conveniently so.

The long and short is that Roku, the company isn't the entity to ask about these questions. It should be directed to/at Bell. They're the only ones who can make it happen.

Cheers!

0 Kudos