Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could my tv get a virus from adding 3rd party channels?

So im trying to get twitch on my Roku and I stumbled on a post saying that you can get it on your Roku by using a code. I'm wondering if you can get viruses from 3rd party apps?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Could my tv get a virus from adding 3rd party channels?

yes youre on your own with unsupported Channels.

Theres not really much a virus can do with a Roku that cant be fixed with a Factory reset.

But Malware might be there. Its not supported.

Heck even obscure supported Channels that arent maintained well can crash your system.

But on a Roku you really dont have data that can be compromised permanently or stolen.

Virus's per se are kinda innocuous.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Could my tv get a virus from adding 3rd party channels?

A virus on Roku isn't really possible as channels/apps have no access to the OS and can only run when launched by the user (i.e., can't be running in the background other than screensavers).  Roku puts up a scary message when you try to install a private channel, but it's really nothing to be concerned about.  I'm not saying it's impossible for a channel/app to do something nefarious, but any channel/app in the Channel Store could do the same thing as a private channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos