Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tightpurchaser
Level 7

Content Issue, Not Technical

I just logged into the Roku site at their request, trying to initiate a chat.  Logging in was their suggestion.  I got all these technical support steps when the issue involves content.  There was one app that disabled all the episodes of a classic TV series, the only place a fan could watch it unless someone who filmed them from their TV long ago uploaded them on YouTube.  Rather than technical, someone connected to either Roku or the app wants to force us to accept their idea of political correctness.  Any ideas on how to respond?  The app developer, something Roku technicians do not get, did not display contact information.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Content Issue, Not Technical

I don't know why Roku makes it so hard to find a channel/app's developer, but the content is out of Roku's hands.  If a series disappeared it's probably because the channel no longer has the rights to stream it (or never did in the first place).  It has nothing to do with censorship or any kind of conspiracy plot.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tightpurchaser
Level 7

There's no date on this thread; so I lost track of how long it's been since I posted it.  Probably I should have gotten back sooner.  At this point because of my suspicions, I should identify the content clearly.  The program I enjoyed on Free Movie Classics until the developer disabled the episodes, was "The Amos 'n' Andy Show," adapted from radio beginning in the 1920's.  The sitcom ran from 1951 to 1953, in reruns until 1966.  After the NAACP ended the original run, in 1966 with "The Amos 'n' Andy Show," they ended the run of other sitcoms that had black portrayals as well as silent movie cartoons that ran on ABC each weekday morning.  Oddly, you can stream the other content, but not "Amos 'n' Andy" unless someone uploaded individual episodes on YouTube.  Even that historian on PBS, Dr. Gates, enjoyed that program, stating that people knew that they were not watching a show about real black people.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@tightpurchaser 

CBS had rights to Amos 'N Andy for years. There were lawsuits in the 1980s regarding distribution of the show. While the characters are in the public domain, the recorded episodes are not. In other words, people can make new shows, but the shows that were owned by CBS are not in the public domain. There are legal questions about the status of those episodes, but home video (DVD), broadcast, and streaming are all different creatures, and having rights to one doesn't guarantee rights to another. Amazon has sold DVDs, but hasn't streamed it, to my knowledge.

Keep in mind that just because one small streaming service offered episodes doesn't mean they had the rights to those shows, and may have had to stop offering them for rights reasons. That's no different than some service offering a Marvel movie without having rights. They can't legally do it, and will be forced to stop.

I'm not saying the content wasn't involved in the reason it was stopped, but I am suggesting that regardless, rights issues would have stopped it anyway. It may have been rights issues solely.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos