Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bru20
Level 8

Constantly have to reactivate HBOGo

Pretty sure I've run in to this issue before and HBO always blames my cable company.  Kind of tired of having to reactivate HBOGo every time I use it.  It seems to have started (again) in the last few weeks.  Anyone else having the issue?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
bru20
Level 8

Re: Constantly have to reactivate HBOGo

Nobody?  Talking about the HBOGo app on Roku and having to reactivate way too frequently.

Happened again today, less then 24 hours after using it I had to reactivate.  Doesn't happen on my Android TV.   But it did happen on the app there at one time and HBO said the same thing, my cable company was at fault.  Kept bugging them and they finally realized it was them and fixed it.  Would be nice if others having the issue would contact HBOGo to let them know.  I'm kind of tired of dealing with them.  I pay them $19 a month for their service and they can't even have an app that works correct on the most popular streaming player.
0 Kudos
bwaldron
Level 9

Don't know. Though some services are bad about this, HBOGo on my Roku almost never requires reauthorization (I use a DirecTV login).
0 Kudos
bru20
Level 8

So tired of this.  Something is wrong either with HBOGo or my cable provider.  I have no other issues with maintaining activation on other channels so why would it be my cable co?

HBO refuses to do anything to investigate and Roku basically said the same.  Utterly ridiculous.  I pay for a premium service and its app doesn't work properly on the number one streaming device.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Unfortunately, the issue is between HBO and your cable provider. Nothing Roku can do about it. As to which one is at fault, only they can determine. Bummer when they all try to pass the puck to someone else.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bru20
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Unfortunately, the issue is between HBO and your cable provider. Nothing Roku can do about it. As to which one is at fault, only they can determine. Bummer when they all try to pass the puck to someone else.

I can maintain activation with other channels on the Roku, so to me that means I can rule out my cable co.  I can maintain activation on HBOGo on my Nexus Player, so what does that mean?  It means the HBOGo app on my Nexus Player has no issues.  So it means its a problem with the HBOGo app on the Roku specifically.  So why can't Roku be involved in solving it?  HBO won't listen to me, but they would listen to Roku. 

Because of this issue I no longer use my Roku for HBOGo.  And since I'm already using the Nexus Player for that, why should I use my Roku for anything else, unless absolutely necessary?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"bru20" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

I can maintain activation with other channels on the Roku, so to me that means I can rule out my cable co.  I can maintain activation on HBOGo on my Nexus Player, so what does that mean?  It means the HBOGo app on my Nexus Player has no issues.  So it means its a problem with the HBOGo app on the Roku specifically.  So why can't Roku be involved in solving it?  HBO won't listen to me, but they would listen to Roku. 

Because of this issue I no longer use my Roku for HBOGo.  And since I'm already using the Nexus Player for that, why should I use my Roku for anything else, unless absolutely necessary?

No, I don't think you can rule out your cable company. It's still their connectivity with HBO that is required to maintain the activation. I don't know how the backend works between the two, but the issue could be with either one of them. Just because it works with other channels doesn't mean the cable company doesn't have something askew with HBO.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jagreenough
Level 7

Hi,
i ran into this also.  activated hbogo on my newly installed roku2 (latest hardware version, latest firmware) like 8 days ago.  then this saturday, fired-up of hbogo and it wanted activation.  went online and activation failed saying call directv (my tv provider, and yes I have hbo).  directv went off and did something (sent a signal, refreshed my profile... something).  then it started working.  i tried it monday as a test and it was still activated. 

just wanted to share that I have the same issue.

best,
jeff
0 Kudos
bru20
Level 8

Update:  Lately HBOGo is staying activated, started a few weeks ago.  So is Disney (channel, XD, etc.).  So what changed?  My cable co insisted that the activation period is only 24 hours (so not true), so I'm sure they did nothing.  HBOGo refused to address the issue.  And since Disney and a few others also stay activated I don't thin it was anything HBO did.  Roku opened a case but I never heard anything more.  It's stayed activated for reasonable periods before but then for some reason it goes back to needing constant reactivation, so I fully expect that to happen again.  But for now I can enjoy it.
0 Kudos

Showtime do this every time it gets a update. All NBC networks require logins after watching 3 hours of content. Roku needs to set a standard for apps on its' products
0 Kudos