Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Constantly have to re-authorize 'cable' subscribed channels

"Beck38" wrote:
I recently posted this problem to a thread that was, apparently, more than 6 months old, so the old thread was locked out.  Okay, so here goes another try.

I have 3 Roku 4's, that I got when it first came out some 2yrs ago.   I expanded my Netflix subscription (been with then almost since the day they started with DVD's), added Hulu, and also added my Amazon Prime video as I had been with them for years as well.  Also added all the basic 'cable' channels as well, and premiums like HBO/Showtime/Starz as I subscribe to them all through my provider, DirecTV..

Everything worked fine for several months.  Then Showtime started acting up, then some of the 'basic' channels, then Starz, and finally HBO.  Requests for re-authorization went from once every couple months, after some 6+ months to now every week.  I've talked to both my provider and Roku and nobody seems to know whats going on. Netflix/Hulu/Amazon have worked without fail during all this.  All involved (DirecTV, Roku, the individual channel providers) all point to the others involved as being the problem.  

My boxes have been re-booted ad-infinitum.  They all have additional memory cards, and the systems on all report less than 10% of the space used, even though I get channels 'reloading' all the time, so what gives with that I don't know.  A neighbor friend, who has had Apple TV's longer than I have had my Roku's, and has DirecTV as well, reports he has never had problems with 're-authorization'.  

I've talked to Roku twice and gotten nowhere.  They've looked at my boxes, I've been told to re-boot, and I wait another week and channels once again need 're-authorization'.

It happens from time to time. I have multiple devices including several Roku's as well. I really wish the hardware makers (Roku/Apple/Amazon, etc.) would get it in the contracts with these TV Everywhere apps that would enable single-sign on for cable/satellite subscribers. As a DirecTV subscriber as well, I wish that I could just sign into my streaming device accounts, link with DirecTV and be done with it, but I assume one reason it's the way it is has to do with piracy concerns and wanting to make sure that people aren't sharing accounts and thus enabling unauthorized access to their content. It has gotten better over time though. I don't need to reauthorize as often as I used to though Showtime Anytime and A&E, TBS, and TNT are the ones I normally have to reactivate after a period of time. Never have an issue with HBO or Starz beyond when I first get a device and sign in for the first time, etc. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Fwiw I see the same behavior, there are periods where I get frequent reauthorization requests and then no requests for quite a while, so I doubt it's a flaw or anything directed at one person, just random security checks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have that problem with Xfinity only
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm having the same problem and no answers,I got my ROKU smart TV in Nov. And for one after I bought,i tried to set it up and I kept getting a error so I called them and was told I had to pay them another $99.before I could get any channels,I was so mad,I will never there product again,but now at least 2times a week I have to add my hulu all over again with user name and password,and I dont know what to do.if you g ed t the answers please let me know

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Cansasgirl 

Thanks for the note.

It seems that you may have contacted a third party entity. Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support.

For more information regarding Roku charges, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

I am experiencing the exact same frustration after only owning them for 4 months. 4 ultras 2 roku TVs and 1 basic roku. Utilizing dish as my primary provider, netflix and amazon prime are more rarely an issue. We have two homes and none are shared. We have 1 on each tv at our second property and 2 at our main. They have turned out to be an absolute pain in the @@@! I keep asking myself, why??? Why did I fall for this ridiculous platform and is this really what this is all about??? Why even have a roku account if it does not keep track of your assigned equipment and authorizations. Get with the century RoKu or teach the masses on how to work your BS platform!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I recently encountered this with the Hallmark Movies Now app, and believe I have evidence of why it's happening.  When I login to my https://www.hmnow.com/ account and look at my profile, I see it's showing 5 "roku" devices (all with the same name), when in reality I only have 2.  I can see clearly based on the "last accessed" dates that every time I've had to re-authenticate, it thinks it's a new device.

Since this is happening with so many apps, I wonder if it's a Roku API problem where the unique ID the Roku device passes to the app somehow changes, so it looks like a new device to the app, demanding new authentication. 

On the flip side, the most recent time it happened both of the Roku devices got past the authentication but hung at the splash screen when entering the HMN app.  Meanwhile the https://www.hmnow.com/ site showed as down due to maintenance.  The next day, the site was back up, then both roku TVs demanded re-authentication, resulting in 2 more "roku" device entries on my HMN profile.  The HMN site being down suggests the problem is not exclusively Roku's.  Yet Roku seems to be the only platform having these rampant authentication issues, possibly due to a poor API.

0 Kudos