Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WaynesWorld
Level 7

Re: Constantly clicking resume on History channel

Jump to solution

Just hooked up my brand-new Roku Streaming Stick+ and History was the first app I tried.  Updated, restarted, etc. It consistently kicks me back to the episode screen after each commercial break.  I have no problems with the History app on other non-Roku streaming devices I own, including my smart tv’s antiquated app.  Glad I found this thread, I’ll contact A&E inc. as well.  

0 Kudos
AZStreamMan
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've found this happening on all the History Channel apps (History, TRVL Go, etc etc). I'm on a TCL Roku TV, wired connection latest firmware, all the apps updated. This is exceptionally annoying.

almostblind
Level 9

Jump to solution

I have contacted A&E Network and History. A&E responded with a bunch of questions that I had already stated in the email.

Please answer the following questions:
1. What model of Roku and app version are you using?
2. Was this the first time you downloaded the app and saw this issue? Was there a version of the app that worked for you?
3. Did you recently update to the latest version of the app and then experience the issue?
4. Where are you experiencing this issue? If during a show, what show or episode did you watch the most and notice the issues? Did you try any other shows?
5. Can you tell us if any commercials appeared before the issue, if so what commercials?
6. Are you logged in to the app? If you are, who is your cable or satellite TV provider?
7. Does your cable package include/support the channel?
8. Please try to delete the app, reboot your device, re-install the app and let us know if that fixes the issue.

I think it is just a robo-email to make it seem like they care. I don't believe that a human actually read it. I went ahead and answered all the questions again. We will see. I also removed the apps and re-set Roku and re-installed them, then I re-logged in. Not only do I have the same problem but now I am limited to 3 "tokens" to watch 3 shows on History. Unbelievable! 

Also, lets not get on RokuTannerD's case about this. It is not his fault and I think he is truly just trying to help solve the situation. Play nice.

0 Kudos
Blair
Level 8

Re: History Channel stops and goes back to series episode screen

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issues also. I’ve uninstalled, rebooted RoKu and reinstalled History. As a programmer, this looks like a bug to me. Even if it’s not a bug, it should be telling us WHY it’s doing it. Underlying code issue if you ask me. VERY frustrating. 

Julaws4661
Level 9

Re: History Channel stops and goes back to series episode screen

Jump to solution

It's terrible. There are a lot of good shows and we are stuck at home and can't watch them. Roku owns the platform, the channel isn't functioning properly with that platform thus this issue is not for us to solve. We've established this isn't a random problem so continuing to provide software and hardware information from each person should no longer be required as the issue isn't part of a specific software group. I literally spend more time watching commercials and trying to find where the show left off than I do watching the show.

Blair
Level 8

Jump to solution

Answers to the 8 questions

1: I have a model 3800x

2: Was not the first time I downloaded the app, worked fine a month or so back, had to be an update that came in that caused the issue.

3: I recently deleted the History app, rebooted the RoKu and reinstalled the History channel app and the issue continued

4: Experiencing the issue on every show in the History App

5: No, very frequent and random commercials, sometimes the same commercial shows over and over

6: Logged in under Direct TV

7: Yes, supported and paid for through Direct TV

8: As stated above, already have done this

As a programmer, this seems to be an API (Application Program Interface) issue. The timing mechanism used to kick off the commercials is calling an API to show the commercials. It's only logical that a bad element of the API call is coming back to calling program that it cannot handle. It's either cycling and recalling the commercial API or creating a Terminal Error that kills the History APP.  This should be an easy fix for someone that wrote this app in the first place. 

0 Kudos
AZStreamMan
Level 8

Jump to solution

Blair,

I have been hoping someone with more programming experience (actual programming experience, unlike myself who's only dabbled) would chime in. The sequence of events for me on my TCL is really odd.

1. Watching the stream, and arriving at a commercial break location, the call is made to the ad servers and an ad/ads is/are served.
  2. At the end of the ad group, I am kicked back to the "resume this episode" selection, still within the app. (with an exception, see below)
  3. Resuming the episode starts it from a position about 30 seconds earlier in the episode. (with an exception, see below)
  4. When the show reaches the commercial break again, I am served another ad group, followed by the episode continuing as normal until the next ad break.

Where I have had an exception was a few nights ago. I was binging a show and had continued on to the next episode. When I was kicked back to the "resume this episode" position, it was for the prior episode at a prior post-commercial-break position. Later on another episode, I was pushed back two commercial breaks on resuming, and I was able to fast-forward to the current ad break, after which the cycle continued as normal for the app.

The app is remembering that the ads for that break were served, after the second time they are served. It seems like the location of the play head in the show is not properly stored or called, or stale data is not purged and the app is using that. Above my pay grade (at the moment) so, I don't know if we have any connection to the developer here but it would be nice to know they're not just doing it to double-serve ads for additional revenue and it can be fixed.

Thank you very much for chiming in!

-AZStreamMan

0 Kudos
Blair
Level 8

Jump to solution

AZStreamMan,

The more I think about this, the more I think it's an API failure. Lets assume that the API call needs certain information to LOG data from the user (being You or ME). It would have to know what show was being watched, the location of the device (which could be as simple as an IP address), the AD tag in the data stream from the show we are watching (to get back to where it left off) and probably some other various pieces of data. I've written code to call virtual credit card API's for use in several of the companies I support. On occasion, some "Blip" occurs over the internet and the "call return" values do not make it back to the calling program. In this case, I check for certain return codes (a credit card number in this case). If it does NOT come back, I throw an error up on the screen for the user. It would make some sense that if the error handling on the API call was not very good, then it would default back to where it started, thus restarting the API and showing us the commercial again. or failing all together and shutting down the video player (both scenarios occur with me all the time). I really hope someone at ROKU or History is reading these issues. This, as I said should be an easy fix with some error handling. 

Take care! 

0 Kudos
almostblind
Level 9

Jump to solution

Blair and anyone else who are having the problem with History Channel. If you contact History Channel Support at the following link they will reply with the auto-generated email that asks the 8 questions (What is the average air speed velocity of a laden swallow?)  that I posted. You can then answer the questions there. It does no good to answer the questions here as History and A&E are not monitoring this thread. Sorry if there was any confusion about that. I and others are contacting them directly and complaining, please do the same and hopefully, someday, this will be fixed. Here is that link.

https://history.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

also sorry about the Monte Python reference.

0 Kudos
Blair
Level 8

Jump to solution

No worries,

Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos