Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ranosb
Level 7

Connect to your cable tv provider?

New to the Roku streaming device, want to get the Roku 2 in place of cable tv, but also be able to watch fox news live, is this possible? My friend has the roku stick and we tried to connect to the news channel and it shows to login to your TV PROVIDER! ??? Why would I have a TV provider after i bought the roku? Isn't the the reason you buy the product, to ditch the expensive cable tv?
I also heard that Fox news live is only available thur tv cable & satellite, is this true?  No way to get it from the Internet? Can u pay a monthly fee thu the Roku box to get it without a tv cable connection? I can still log into my cable provider since i have Internet & phone with them, but will not have cable tv after buying the Roku box...

Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion,
0 Kudos
16 Replies
andyross
Level 10

Re: Connect to your cable tv provider?

The Roku is just a streaming device. Most channels, especially the "cable" networks will require some form of subscription. If you have a cable/satellite subscription, you may be able to access full content by using your login info from the cable/satellite company. Some others offer their own separate subscriptions.

Media companies are greedy. You will NOT get anything for free.
0 Kudos
ranosb
Level 7

"andyross" wrote:
The Roku is just a streaming device. Most channels, especially the "cable" networks will require some form of subscription. If you have a cable/satellite subscription, you may be able to access full content by using your login info from the cable/satellite company. Some others offer their own separate subscriptions.

My question is without the tv cable service, which is the reason for getting the Roku, is there a separate fee one can pay just for the fox news live when you no longer have cable tv, only the internet from your cable company, with the Roku box?
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

As Andy Ross said, cable channels are still cable TV channels (CNN, Fox News, ESPN, TNT etc). They likely have apps but you need to have a sort of cable account to access it, otherwise it's not free. You could look into DirectTVNow or Sony Vue TV if you really want to get those channels, you get most for around $30/mo.  

Otherwise, if you're just looking for keeping up to date in politics CBSNews is a pretty good 24/7 news channel. Admittedly it leans a bit more center/left than Fox News, but isn't like MSNBC. More like CNN a bit. Reuters is also a great news app. If you search around there's some smaller ones too I'm sure, maybe a political homemade-ish one you'll get into (Infowars).
0 Kudos
ranosb
Level 7

"Pasnow" wrote:
As Andy Ross said, cable channels are still cable TV channels (CNN, Fox News, ESPN, TNT etc). They likely have apps but you need to have a sort of cable account to access it, otherwise it's not free. You could look into DirectTVNow or Sony Vue TV if you really want to get those channels, you get most for around $30/mo.  

Otherwise, if you're just looking for keeping up to date in politics CBSNews is a pretty good 24/7 news channel. Admittedly it leans a bit more left than Fox News, but isn't like MSNBC. More like CNN a bit. Reuters is also a great news app. If you search around there's some smaller ones too I'm sure, maybe a political homemade-ish one you'll get into (Infowars).

When u say apps, r u talking about for a cellphone? I don't own one, only my cable company phone landline. What about all the other boxes out there, sling, hulu etc, they are basically the same? Theres no way to get fox news live thu the interent, even if you r willing to pay for it? Im not looking for FREE fox news...
Is direct tv now what I need?
Thanks for your input
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

"ranosb" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:

My question is without the tv cable service, which is the reason for getting the Roku, is there a separate fee one can pay just for the fox news live when you no longer have cable tv, only the internet from your cable company, with the Roku box?

Typically, no. The cable channels do not currently want the 'a la carte' model. That may change, personally I bet ESPN goes that route in a year or two. If there's a specific show you love I've found you can buy the season on Fandango, Hulu or Prime. For instance I was a huge Walking Dead fan, but didn't have AMC. Fandango was selling the seasons for about $38/season, which comes out to about $2 per episode, but it was only 40 minutes & commercial free so it was worth it imho. Only drawback was the episodes were released the day after it aired, so I had to stay off the net for spoilers. In the end I dropped it this year, the show's gone downhill.
As to 'Why get a roku'??  I love it. There is soo much free content out there, even games like Sodoku & Chess. The Roku Channel is all free, has some good 80s movies. CBSNews, Reuters, SkyNews. I watch about the same amount of TV that I did, just differently. Old westerns or comedies, I'll do a PPV movie or Redbox once a month, Netflix is great. There's alot of free movie channels (Docudrama - Documentaries, Crackle, Shudder) and eclectic or special interest channel specific to a certain niche like yoga, MMA, or Old School Social Studies Films.
0 Kudos
ranosb
Level 7

Pasnow
Do you know if fox news live can be accessed with direct-tv-now, do you know anything about that service with the Roku box? I'm new to all this...
Seems you need a  Wi-Fi connection, can't be used with cable because you accessing a satellite?  i thought its internet?
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 5000637383
Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"ranosb" wrote:
"Pasnow" wrote:

Otherwise, if you're just looking for keeping up to date in politics CBSNews is a pretty good 24/7 news channel. Admittedly it leans a bit more left than Fox News, but isn't like MSNBC. More like CNN a bit. Reuters is also a great news app. If you search around there's some smaller ones too I'm sure, maybe a political homemade-ish one you'll get into (Infowars).

When u say apps, r u talking about for a cellphone? I don't own one, only my cable company phone landline. What about all the other boxes out there, sling, hulu etc, they are basically the same? Theres no way to get fox news live thu the interent, even if you r willing to pay for it? Im not looking for FREE fox news...
Is direct tv now what I need?
Thanks for your input

Sling, Hulu , etc are not separate boxes. You can access sling, Hulu, Netflix and more right on your Roku. Roku offers more streaming content than any other streaming box (Amazon Fire, Android TV, Apple TV all have less official streaming channels than Roku does).

Unfortunately most cable based channels offer no free way to access their content, as they're in the business to make money, not give their stuff away for free. As others have mentioned, you can get it thru certain packages on Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, or DirecTV Now. You can't get it standalone though.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
37mediagroup
Level 9

"ranosb" wrote:
"Pasnow" wrote:

Thanks for your input

Sorry, I meant 'Channels', which is funny, because I recently read an article on the success of Roku & it's founder. A big driving point he kept was to keep them called 'Channels' not 'Apps' so it seemed more user friendly. Shows he knows his stuff.
Apps/Channels, sorta the same thing. No you don't need a cell phone, but you can add new channels. If you definitely want Fox News look for Playstation Vue TV: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/  Direct TV Now https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff  or Hulu Live TV.
All seem to run about $35-$40/mo
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

"ranosb" wrote:
Pasnow
Do you know if fox news live can be accessed with direct-tv-now, do you know anything about that service with the Roku box? I'm new to all this...
Seems you need a  Wi-Fi connection, can't be used with cable because you accessing a satellite?  i thought its internet?
https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/ar ... 5000637383
Thanks for your help

Direct TV Now is seperate from their satellite service. It's an internet TV package that's sorta like Netflix but it delivers 30+ cable TV basics. Things like ESPN, USA, TNT, FoxNews, CNN etc.  Not the 500 or whatever channels that are out there now, but the 30 or so basics. It streams right thru your Roku. I don't have it but I'm sure it works well & pretty easy to use. I'm sure it comes with a trial so worth checking out.
0 Kudos