Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iammax
Level 8

Commercials

I have had my Roku for a few years and never have there been commercials.  However, as of last week, Roku forces you to watch four commercials every ten minutes no matter what TV show or film you are watching.  It's awful.  The Networks always have commercials, but why do I want a streaming device that is full of commercials!  You can't even skip them because Roku won't let you do that.  It's so sad that after years of no commercials ever, Roku is now making us watch commercials on everything.  

14 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Commercials

its not Roku its the Channels YOU are watching.

If you think theres too many contact the FCC.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

You need to specify what channels you are watching. Any 'free' channel will almost always include ads. Other services may have different tiers with and without commercials. I pay extra for CBS All Access and Motor Trend to not see commercials.

0 Kudos
Zia
Level 8

What can be done about it?  When you pay to subscribe to a channel aren't they getting enough money to not need ads? I personally will NEVER buy anything that's in an ad forced on me!

Gwohsau
Level 8

I don't know if that's correct, I pay for acorn and watched it this morn on my old Roku, Installed my new one at lunch and NOW I have commercials on acorn. I doubt it's a coincidence! 

0 Kudos
LadyMerish
Level 8

I agree!  I haven't used my Roku for viewing on Roku channel until lately again.  Imagine my surprise at the number of commercials they have.  4 to 5 commercials every 10 minutes right up to the last 5 minutes of any movie.  It is ridiculous as TV does not even have that many.  Considering ROKU is making money on everything it carries, the ROKU users should not be penalized by Greed and constant commercials.

You can sign up for Starz, HBO etc without going through ROKU and save money and no commercials.  ROKU should have more integrity and not punish its users by subjecting them to this in this day and age.

0 Kudos
LadyMerish
Level 8

It is not the Free TV that bothers me.  It is the movies that ROKU carries for us to watch.  Commercials should not be on a Advertised Movie carried by ROKU.

boogernose
Level 18

@LadyMerish  are you new?

Commercials are a constant in the Universe.

They pay for your Free TV.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
LadyMerish
Level 8

Yes I am new to the Community but have had ROKU for a year now.

0 Kudos
LadyMerish
Level 8

I understand the use of Commercials and supposed FREE TV.  Nothing is FREE there is always a cost.  With ROKU it is time spent watching commercials and the inability to cancel them.  There is never an excuse to list as many commercials as they do.  Never....They make plenty of money.