Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commercials on the ROKU channel

Would PAY to turn off commercials on the ROKU channel.  Annoying, preachy, and repetitive - along with certain ones (looking at you, NATURESWEET) blasting the volume at double the level of the program.

And who decides where in the program the commercials are placed?  Some AI bot??  Seriously, I was watching a movie (“Devil’s Mistress”) where the trapped and suicidal hero put a gun barrel in his mouth - cut to a series of insipid super-loud commercials - and then back to his brains blowing out all over the wall behind him.  Converting pathos into farce, at the end of the film.  

9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Commercials on the ROKU channel

Although Roku shares in the ad revenue, many (most? all?) of the commercials seen on The Roku Channel are not placed by Roku, but by the sources from which they obtain/license their programming.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DFA1
Reel Rookie

To many of commercials up to 5 AD's I can not stand the on about women pooping 

CaptFerd
Channel Surfer

Getting absolutely ridiculous. Originally bought these devices to take control of my TV only to find ROKU taking control of it. Comercial after comercial is what I was trying to get away from. Each day it is polutted with more and more with no way to stop it. Getting rid of them all together, 

CaptFerd
Channel Surfer

So sick and tired of the constant commercials. Getting worse as time goes on. Cant watch YouTube anymore it cuts in every 3 to 4 minutes. Taking them out of all my sets.

tgneckar
Channel Surfer

Why does Roku stick the commercials anywhere in the viewing program?  Sometimes the commercial is put in the middle of a sentence that someone is speaking.  The Pluto streaming app does an excellent method of inserting commercials, as they are placed where one would expect them to go.  Also, sometimes very short commercials are put only a couple minutes apart.  Why not group the commercials together and place them in an appropriate place to minimize the interruptions.   It seems that the commercial inserting program has no idea what is playing, and randomly inserts commercials, which are repetitive and very annoying.

tgneckar
Channel Surfer

Roku does have a say in where the commercials are placed when they license to use the programming. They can have stipulations on where and how frequently commercials  are placed.  Since the vendor of the material would like to increase their revenue, I would think they would comply with Roku's stipulations.

0 Kudos
Zepher

I find the recent ad denouncing "MAGA" politicians offensive and part of a narrative that is destroying the nation and dividing friends and family in every state. Seriously, without an open dialog things are not going to change and this ad is so blatantly wrong that it should be illegal. It is destructive...pure and simple.

mwollman
Reel Rookie

I am tired of commercials every 10 minutes and the same ones every time. 

TheRadish

I will not watch anything with commercials.  It's too bad I have a Roku smart TV but I won't watch the Roku channel.  I would gladly pay to be able to update to no commercials.  There are programs I would like to watch but don't.

0 Kudos