Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adwissler
Streaming Star

Closed Captioning on CBS News Roku App

Jump to solution
To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Andrew Wissler.  Every time I turn on the CBS News Roku app, at least for live streaming, the closed captioning automatically turns on, even when on my Roku it is set to off.  I was wondering if this could be fixed

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Andrew Wissler
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Closed Captioning on CBS News Roku App

Jump to solution

The CBS News app updated to version 5.4.4 today (3/4) - check to see if this addresses the CC and other issues.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
seve48

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue I set closed captioning to off but the cc remains on. Is any one else have the same issue and if so how did you correct it.

wevansmith
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yep! The same issue started on our ROKU a few days ago. Launching the CBS News streaming channel forces an override and changes the ROKU device closed captioning settings to "Always On". After disabling the ROKU device closed caption setting, the issue occurs again as soon as relaunching the CBS News streaming channel. ROKU needs to patch the device code to disallow its settings to be overridden by streaming channels. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Make sure you report the issue to both Roku and CBS:

Roku:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

CBS:

https://www.cbs.com/showfeedback/

cbsnewsappfeedback-roku@cbsinteractive.com

wevansmith
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Excellent suggestion! I've engaged with ROKU Technical team, but because I'm using a ROKU Soundbar, they're redirecting the issue to their ROKU Audio support team, since it's an "audio" device. Seems like a bit of a punt, but I'm now awaiting contact from the ROKU Audio support team for further assistance.  

0 Kudos
VicR

Jump to solution

Having the same problem and find it very annoying and hope a Roku tech will post a solution.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@VicR wrote:

Having the same problem and find it very annoying and hope a Roku tech will post a solution.

While it understandably annoying, thats not going to happen - at best a "Roku tech" would tell you to check for updates for either an updated firmware or app version.

You need to report this to both Roku & CBS as previously described.

Jfcwhy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

While watching CBSN on the Roku app, hit the * key on the Roku remote.  An Options menu will appears on the left side.  Select ‘Closed captioning’, then use the right arrow button to scroll thru the various choices, and select ‘Off’.

0 Kudos
RonIndy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It just started happening a couple weeks ago. You can use the temporary fix with the options button, but it only works until the end of the current news story. When the next news story starts captioning reappears and you have to turn it off again. Something changed a couple weeks ago to introduce this bug. Using Roku 4.

Jfcwhy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I reported this to CBS and got a canned, cut and paste response.  They must buy their cut and paste response library from the same place as Amazon.  Thanks for getting in touch, your feedback is valuable, we apologize for the inconvenience, it's been forwarded to the appropriate team, blah blah blah.   I won't hold my breath.