Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roxeann

Re: Classic Reel does NOT have captioning.

Jump to solution

I got this channel for my husband however he was unable to enjoy it as he is hearing impaired and there is no captioning . I have stopped this service due to that

fladude
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I would add to my previous

Under The Law, FCC, Any TV program , any Movie that was CLOSE CAPTIONED when broadcast must be close captioned in all further broadcasts by any company.

My short look at Classic Reel , there were definite Movies i recall being on TV broadcast in past with captions so per FCC **LAW**  Classic Reel should be at least providing the accompanying captions

As to ROKU, you take the $2.99, theres No refunds, To free Trial, unsuspecting  are out at least that $3, multiply it by say 500 and thats a cool $1,500  which I'm sure Roku gets a pct of.

Roku should indeed be vetting services before enabling them on their service
Roku should require all that dont provide caption/subtitles to say so in the description available BEFORE one pays the $2.99 to even view

Roku should include in the feedback list a "No captions/Subtitles" option where rate and send feedback, really why not?  I end up using like "no video" or such as  feedback but in reality we need the option feedback 1 star cause no captions be there..providers need know and see how many complain of it

We need proper knowing of where to complain, all providers you allow on your system, there should be an real address to write to included  in the service description. Terms etc
So we can file complaints with FCC 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The FCC requirement for captions applies to broadcast TV. It does not apply to streaming services. I agree that there's good reason to provide them, but there's no law that say Classic Reel, or any other online streaming service, must have them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
fladude
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm Deaf, Disabled, I KNOW the laws

"ViacomCBS and Pluto TV Fined $3.5 Million by FCC for Violating Closed-Caption Rules"
"The FCC’s IP closed-captioning rules apply broadly to the distributors, providers and owners of internet-delivered video programming. The rules require the closed captioning of IP-delivered video programming and impose requirements on certain devices that receive or play back video programming."

"What does the FCC’s ruling mean for streaming services?
This ruling lays out a standard that could help other cable companies in other markets with rate regulations to break free. This is a major step forward for streaming services as now they are considered in the eyes of the FCC as equal to cable TV companies when looking at the competition."

And:
The FCC has captioning requirement guidelines to keep news, entertainment and important information accessible for everyone. the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA) or Live and Video Accessibility Act CVAA, passed in 2010. It established safeguards on video content for the disabled.

***All FCC regulations only apply to programming that's previously aired on TV with captions. It specifically excludes consumer-generated media.****

Classic Reel  is providing certain Movies that were previous broadcast on TV years ago WITH CAPTIONS, if something was captioned before, it must be still captioned  by any that stream such!

Only movies that were never broadcast  with captions in past would be exempt

You should read about Pluto (and Netflix etc) where FCC is getting serious and has greatly fined etc

https://commlawgroup.com/2021/fcc-gets-serious-about-cvaa-over-the-internet-video-streaming-company-...

fladude
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Specific  

A rebuttal to your mistaken idea Caption law only applies to BROADCAST TV (thats out of date, the law was updated)

"FCC rules require captioned programs shown on TV in the United States to be captioned whenever they are live-streamed or re-shown on the Internet. As a practical matter, this means that nearly all televised programming that is also shown on-line must be captioned, because subject to very limited, narrow exceptions, 100% of televised programming must be captioned. The Internet captioning rules do not apply to video clips posted to third-party websites and applications, or to “consumer-generated media” (e.g., home videos)."

Specific:

"As a practical matter, this means that nearly all televised programming that is also shown on-line must be captioned"

I've used closed  captions since they started, back when there were sears top boxes..

All Content that has been close captioned  on broadcast tv from appx 1979 to NOW must be in any re-broadcast, be it over air, cable or INTERNET STREAMED  include the captions

Classic reel  has  content I recall being close captioned when broadcast years ago

It IS that Content their required by LAW to include closed captions

Or like pluto will be sued and fined by FCC...   Once they get around to looking at the complaints on it

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@fladude I appreciate the update. I wasn't aware they had (finally) updated it to include streaming providers. That's good info. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Here are a couple of threads that may interest you:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/How-do-I-contact-Classic-Reel-about-ongoing-q...

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/How-to-fix-Classic-Reel-not-working-on-my-Rok...

In those threads you'll find a phone number for them, as well as questions about the copyright status of their content and whether they are required to do closed captions.

Perhaps the best thing to do is contact the FCC and let them sort it out with the Classic Reel/Pure Digital.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

From the FCC:

The Internet closed captioning rules only apply if the video programming was shown on TV in the U.S. with captions.

So if the content has not been shown on US TV with captions, it's exempt.

And ...

The following deadlines apply to video programming that is not in a distributor's Internet online library before it is shown on TV with captions.

Meaning if they obtained it before it became subject to CC rules, then it's still exempt.

And, broadcasters can apply for exemption. So it's not as cut and dry as some try to make it seem.

None of that impacts how the consumer should feel about a content provider not offering captions. I prefer to use captions myself, but if they aren't available, I tend to remember things like that when it comes time to find additional content to watch.

It also means that they may not be violating law, just hurting some feelings.

From what I've seen of their content, there is a lot that is available elsewhere. I've seen nothing that seems to be exclusive. I put my money where I like spending it. And I won't spend my money with someone whose actions offend me, if at all possible.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

fladude
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

"The following deadlines apply to video programming that is not in a distributor's Internet online library before it is shown on TV with captions.

Meaning if they obtained it before it became subject to CC rules, then it's still exempt."

Actually, what it means is Anything they obtained Before it is shown on TV...
And as Most Movies have been Captioned starting in 1979-onwards, it would need be a Movie Either Never Captioned in broadcast...  Or obtained  Before broadcast, however 
Classic Reel is unlikely to have obtained ALL their content Before broadcast on TV
in the Past 43 years.  Since Closed captioning started long before we had internet streaming , Most Movies have appeared in broadcast TV  captioned

And I highly Doubt Classic Reel was in existence and had a "library" obtained  until recent years when streaming became a thing.

Also even if captioned after it seems its changed:

Archival internet video programming

The following deadlines apply to video programming that a distributor already shows on the Internet. Distributors have extra time to add captions to video programming that they already show on the Internet and that is later shown on TV with captions, as follows:

Within 45 days after the date it is shown on TV with captions on or after March 30, 2014 and before March 30, 2015;
Within 30 days after the date it is shown on TV with captions on or after March 30, 2015 and before March 30, 2016; and
Within 15 days after the date it is shown on TV with captions on or after March 30, 2016.

Archival= Videos that were made in past

"And, broadcasters can apply for exemption. So it's not as cut and dry as some try to make it seem."
And the exemptions are FEW, FCC isn't handing them out like candy especially as FCC
Rules are due to LAWS like ADA, (1990) and The Closed caption legislation, the original legislation also ordered FCC to create rules for future Tech needs, the CC law was updated
recent too Congress has ordered Closed captions in over air, cable, streaming because 
It is something that shall not be a "hand out" but be  there to ensure EQUAL ACCESS

Where any service has only Audio with its Videos  it  Is NOT then equal access

"It also means that they may not be violating law, just hurting some feelings."

Except its not about hurt feelings, its a requirement in LAW to ensure we deaf/hoh have equal access  to ANY Services offering, They ARE violating Law since my 1 month (no free trial so basically  took $2.99) access I saw many Movies that I recall being Closed captioned over air in 80-90"s and early 2000's  

The law is if EVER captioned in broadcast, must be captioned Always from that point

"From what I've seen of their content, there is a lot that is available elsewhere. I've seen nothing that seems to be exclusive. I put my money where I like spending it. And I won't spend my money with someone whose actions offend me, if at all possible."

It doesn't matter if its available elsewhere (where it might cost a higher fee)
The law applies to all these streaming services equally, in fact to allow One to not CC where another Must would be unfair competition, so it applies to all equally

Even if a movies there on Netflix,Hulu,Pluto,Tubi,Prime,etc  close captioned doesn't allow for Classic Reel to not equally provide captions

And unlike In beginning, there's now Many CC services that can do it and the costs far less then it was in beginning pus any prior close captions maybe available for a license fee so the argument that captions be an undue burden no longer flies
The mentioned  exemptions often were given due to expense in start ups 
But that was when CC was new and few company's did it, in beginning it was only the NCI

And  the FCC can decide how captions are done as it is mandated by LAW to ensure that we deaf/hoh have that equal access , since the congress wants about everything captioned even those older ways tp avoid captioning are going to go away, fact is FCC has
Said its goal is 100 pct captioning, not just over air but cable, streaming content as theres Federal laws like ADA that require accommodation and the Closed caption law that demands FCC create rules to ensure we Deaf/hoh  have equal access to content ..with ANY Service

In early close captioned times It was up to networks on if captioned, they just didn't enough so FCC updated rules to increase it since left on own broadcasters weren't, 
when cable TV became big and there were non-broadcast over air channels  it became clear those left on own weren't so FCC put in force rules to ensure they did, now since Internet streaming has not on own been properly captioning, expect further FCC rules  that will up the requirements to Caption since these streaming services aren't following law

To not provide captions is a discrimination

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team regarding the issue you are experiencing. However, for more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos