Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rmwright3
Reel Rookie

Classic Reel does NOT have captioning.

Jump to solution

Well, I thought I found a goldmine this afternoon when I found Classic Reel. I looked over their offerings and was astonished to find great films that I hadn't seen in 50 years! It was wonderous - until I signed up on Roku and tried to watch some of them. For a normal person, this site is a wonderful "find" - but, alas, I discovered that none of the films have closed captioning. I am severely hearing impaired, so it is difficult for me to get much out of any programming without the aid of closed captioning. There was no warning from Roku that none of the films were captioned (even ones that I have seen captioned on other venues.) So this is a great disappointment for me. I am going to contact Roku and cancel my subscription to Classic Reel. I'll watch some movies on it for the next month for nostalgia value, but it really doesn't do me much good to have a subscription if I can't understand what the actors are saying. I would be willing to pay more per month is Classic Reel would caption these films - if anybody's listening.   Richard M. Wright

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Classic Reel does NOT have captioning.

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team regarding the issue you are experiencing. However, for more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The channel owners create their own Roku channel apps, provide them to Roku, and maintain them. They also provide their own channel description information.  The only channels controlled by Roku are their own Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. For other channels, Roku just provides the platform on which they run.  Problems in how a particular channel operates should be directed to that channel.

I agree, the lack of CC would be good information for this channel to include in their channel description.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Accordionist13
Channel Surfer

Re: Classic Reel does NOT have captioning. BUT THEY SHOULD TO COMPLY WITH FCC RULES!

Jump to solution

FCC rules requires Close Caption for all TV programs:

"Closed captioning rules require VPDs use closed captioning in television programs. This makes all TV programs accessible for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing. "

Nobody should have to pay extra for it.  How is Classic Reels getting away with No Close Caption?

Roku, please help.

Rmwright3
Reel Rookie

Re: Classic Reel does NOT have captioning. BUT THEY SHOULD TO COMPLY WITH FCC RULES!

Jump to solution

Thank you for your post. I hope it will help bring captioning to Classic Reel.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

As @makaiguy mentioned, g=for more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Classic Reel support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Accordionist13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Dear RokuDanny-R,

I will tell you what I don’t understand and then you tell me what you don’t understand, OK?

What I don’t understand is what does “g=for more information….”

Where is that “g”?  what are you talking about?

Now, you tell me what in any of these two replies you do not understand, OK?:

Below is the response to me from “classicreelstv”  (the only email I found)

“Hi! We are not a subscription based service. You must have us mixed up with a different company. Our channel, CRTV, is free to watch on our website and you're welcome to watch! We hope you find the support you are looking for.”

My previous answer to you on the 27th, quote:

PLEASE PROVIDE THE EMAIL ADDRESS.  I contacted a “Classic Reels” and they said they are not the providers. End quote

Again, please provide the email for the Classic Reel associated with Roku.  Thank you.

Accordionist 13

Jump to solution

But what is the support contact for Classic Reel? Email? Phone? Snail mail? I have searched and can’t find it. 

0 Kudos
Accordionist13
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Dear Danny, Roku Moderator,

As I requested before, PLEASE PROVIDE email for Classic Reel.

I was getting ready to terminate my subscription when I stumble over and old favorite "Down Argentine Way", with Carmen Miranda, Alice Faye and Don Ameche.  I was amazed how this 1940 film I was able to understand just about everything, even if it was not captioned.  We can now value the quality of this film.  However, that was the exception and some people have a higher level of hearing disability.

The law remains unchanged: 

FCC rules requires Close Caption for all TV programs

I prefer for you to please provide the email for Classic Reel rather than for me to write to FCC.  Thank you.

Accordionist 13

fladude
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Lets be clear

These Services that get onto Roku should be Vetted by Roku, if They DO NOT  follow the LAW, Roku should not have such available to be added because  some are illegally under law running streaming services.

I Tried Classic Reel and found no closed captions, there was no free trial, I'm out $2.99 

Its illegal. Their getting $$$, they are by law to close caption.  Roku may not be the provider but they are the Enabler in allowing these streaming services to be available on a roku box

The Netflix case  ruled ALL STREAMING services, especially those charging fees MUST close caption

fladude
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

RokuDanny-R

I would request that ROKU include in their  options for feedback when Rating a streaming service a 
"No Closed Captions provided"

So if the feedback is going to the channel providers they will get 1 star ratings and know why...
No closed captions as required by law

With all those feedback options, theres none that can point to lack of proper captioning
I want to be able to give these bad operators the feedback that their rated low cause of failing to caption

With appx 30 million with varying pct of hearing loss we are close to 10 pct of Population
and as boomers age out that could go up to 25 pct,  If Roku is not going to exclude streaming services that dont follow law, give us the ability to down rate them and tell em its cause of failing to close caption.