Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chlojo1
Streaming Star

How to fix Classic Reel not working on my Roku device

Jump to solution

Since fall of last year, I've subscribed to and very much enjoyed Classic Reel, a well-reviewed channel featuring a mother lode of classic movie content from the 30s thru the early 70s, some of it in HD quality.  However, recently, it's been difficult to watch a movie all the way through without constant buffering. 

My Roku TV tells me it's my WiFi connection, but when I switch to a more conventionally popular channel like Netflix or Prime Video, the buffering goes away.  So does this problem actually emanate from Classic Reel itself rather than my WiFi connection?  Have other Classic Reel subscribers been experiencing this and if so, have you come up with any solutions?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
SouthPawPhlly
Streaming Star

Re: Classic Reel channelendless buffering

Jump to solution

I contacted Classic Reel.  The problem is not you, your ISP, your WiFi, or Roku the problem is with the channel itself -- Classic Reel.

They are fixing the problem, but it is taking a long time.   COVID-19  and stay at home requirements has increased the number of subscribers to where the servers cannot handle the load.  The movies are being transferred to a new server.  Newly added movies are already on the new server.  It looks like those in the Film Noir category are also okay because I watched many of them without interruption. 

I hope this helps.  I do feel your frustration.

View solution in original post

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Classic Reel not app not working

Jump to solution

@jbearOregon @SouthPawPhlly 

Here's how to properly remove/reinstall an app.

1. Remove the app
  2. Reboot the Roku
  3. Reinstall the app

All three steps, in that order. I'm not hearing a reboot as step 2. What I'm reading looks like you are describing 2,1,3 or 1,3,2 both of which are incorrect.

Try that and see if that works. Be aware that it might not fix it, but this is a step that should be performed when running down issues such as this.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Classic Reel channel down?

Jump to solution

Hi @Glowbaby

Thanks for the post.

In some cases, removing the channel and then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, follow the steps below making sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again.

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Navigate to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

If after attempting the suggestions above, you are still experiencing the same issue from a single channel while content from other channels plays fine, contact the customer support team for the channel provider to report the issue and get help. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
89 REPLIES 89
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yep, if everything else is streaming fine, the problem is Classic Reel. Now, is the problem with their Roku channel, or at their server end? We have no way of knowing, and only Classic Reel can provide any assistance. Roku themselves are not responsible for and do not support the individual channels, other than the two that they themselves provide: Roku Media Player and The Roku Channel.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Fiddlersmom3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I’m having the same problem and it’s very frustrating.   It’s a great channel with so much classic content, but it’s getting to be a pain to watch anything.  Is there any way to contact the channel?

chlojo1
Streaming Star

Re: Classic Reel channel endless buffering

Jump to solution

My feeling is that it's a shoestring operation which for some reason (I have my theories) manages to have a massive inventory and it's better to not expect too much of it for fear that too much oversight may result in it being forced off the air.  I do think that at certain times of day the buffering is reduced e.g. I managed to watch a high quality movie all the way through without buffering last night starting after 11 pm ET, and sometimes I can also get in a whole feature after breakfast.  Since receiving Roku's response last night, I'll just fork over my $3 a month and take my chances and not look this gift horse in the mouth.

GeorgiG

Constant Loading`

Jump to solution

I had purchased "Classic Reels" station from Roku. Had to cancel it even before I even had it for 24 hours. Every 5 minutes I lost my movie and it had to reload. I hope Roku reads these blogs. Everyone stay well...

Horrorphan

Jump to solution

I subscribed to Classic Reel to replace Warner Brothers Filmstruck app that went down some time ago.  I really love the content and the visual quality of most of the movies. However the CONSTANT buffering is an annoyance.  I've tried everything including rebooting my router, rebooting roku box, unsubscribe the resubscribe...all to no avail.  Once in a while, I will be able to watch a full movie with no interruption.  I would say consistent play is only about 5% of my total watch time.  As this seems to be an app issue, I guess I'm going to have to view these interruptions as if they are short ads.  But even with that, I will be on the search to find a replacement channel. 

chlojo1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree with everything you say.  But do try viewing the channel at different times of day.  Mornings and after 11 pm seem to be when there's the least amount of buffering.  Also some movies that are badly compressed to begin with that are problematic, such as suddenly showing a play bar for a few seconds or an AMC logo briefly.  As a matter of filtering out movies that probably come from questionable sources, I often check the running times against the times listed for the films on IMDB.  For instance, there are a number of movies (especially from Universal) on CR that have been drastically edited down.  Then there are ones which have been poorly formatted.  As I mentioned before, I have my theories about how this channel above all others came to acquire such a large catalog of classics unavailable elsewhere, and we are definitely not talking public domain.  I just keep enjoying what they have to offer whenever and however I can.

0 Kudos
SouthPawPhlly
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I contacted Classic Reel.  The problem is not you, your ISP, your WiFi, or Roku the problem is with the channel itself -- Classic Reel.

They are fixing the problem, but it is taking a long time.   COVID-19  and stay at home requirements has increased the number of subscribers to where the servers cannot handle the load.  The movies are being transferred to a new server.  Newly added movies are already on the new server.  It looks like those in the Film Noir category are also okay because I watched many of them without interruption. 

I hope this helps.  I do feel your frustration.

chlojo1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I suspected that was the problem, as I was stuck at home more and watching the channel more frequently starting in late March.  And I did notice that recently added movies streamed pretty smoothly. Thanks for the update. 

0 Kudos
SouthPawPhlly
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have often wondered why other channels like Criterion and TCM just don't make their entire libraries available all the time instead of having films "leave" after a short time.  With my experience with Classic Reel, I can see where having an entire library available on demand can slow things down.

0 Kudos