Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Cheapest way to get specific channels?

Hello Community Members I have a Roku Ultra and would like to get news channels CNN, CNBC, Discovery any suggestions to the most inexpensive way to get these. I am trying not to over purchase a package from Sling, Hulu etc. with tons of channels I don't want and will not watch.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Watch TV on Roku Ultra

Without a cable subscription you're going to have to subscribe to one of those services, you can't get those channels for nothing. Have you tried Philo?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Without a cable subscription you're going to have to subscribe to one of those services, you can't get those channels for nothing. Have you tried Philo?

Philo is an 'Entertainment Only' streaming service. No News Channels, No Sports Channels. Only way to get to their $20 per month price. Discovery channel would be the only channel offered from the OP inquiry. No CNN. No CNBC.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

None of those stream for free. All of them require you to have a paid subscription to some service that includes them so that they get their cut of your subscription fee. That kinda sucks since they are all loaded with ads but that's the way it is.

Some exploring on cordcutting.com shows Roku availability as follows

CNBC:
Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, AT&T TV Now, and YouTube TV

CNN:
Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, AT&T TV Now, and YouTube TV

DISCOVERY:
Philo, Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, and YouTube TV

So if you have to have all three, looks like your choices are Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, Sling TV, and YouTube TV. I'll let you research their relative costs.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for your reply Tivoburkee I am OK paying but didn't want to over purchase channels I would not watch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks Blade_005 for your reply. As you rightly mentioned Philo only has Discovery from my preferred channel list. So far the cheapest I have found is Sling Blue + News Extra which comes to $35 per month.