Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
junkboxx
Level 9

Channels crashing several times a day

Forgive me if this is not the right place to post this.

Noticed several times last night and again today, that my Roku channels crash. For example, favoriting stations in 'iHeart Radio' channel, it crashed and either went to the home screen or restarted itself. Same result for 'Sling' channel.

Here's what I did:

1) Unplugged the Roku Express for 1 minute. Let it start back up again... with further crashes.

2) Settings> System> System Restart.. with further crashes

3) Settings> System> System Update. Software was up to date, per the box that came up.

4) Reinstalled what I thought was faulty channels... with more further crashes.

5) Tried looking at the Roku Support page without any options to email or read articles about channel crashes. Yes, I did search "crashes" and "channel crashes." I saw "car crashes," but nothing that pertained to my issue.

6) Gave feedback (with email addy) on how an article on "Roku playback" and other words searched did not solve my issue.

7) Posted here, as my Roku Express is not eligible for a phone call to Roku, per the audio message, when I called.

8 ) Verified that it was not my internet, internet connection, internet speed (100mb package) etc.

9) Played 'Sling' on my phone. Worked flawlessly as the Roku paused and went to the home screen, from crashing. Phone is on the exact same internet network.

So, what the "bleep" is going on Roku? I clearly see it's not me.

Model: 3900X
Software Version: 9.1.0 - Build 4919-51
Device ID: C3388F229429
Contact me for Serial Number info and email, if from Customer Support.

Can someone help with this? I did what my Radio and TV Engineering and IT training told me to do.

Junckboxx
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Channels crashing several times a day

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. A couple questions here to help understand the issue: 

1. Have you installed any private (non-certified) channels on your Roku account? 
2. How many channels do you have installed on your device currently? 
3. Have you tried performing a full factory reset on your device to see if this clears up the issue? 

Please keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

25 channels installed. Everything was from the Roku store and not searched, but a visible box. Beyond that, not sure what a "certified" channel is. For example, Google play only has their own certified apps in the store. So all the apps there must follow guidelines. Roku may not be the same? If not, how do we tell what is certified?

Just did the reset. Did not want to go through all the account setups again, but will have to. 2nd time scanning for my WiFi, which is literally 5 feet away. Now trying a 3rd time. Nope, did not find my WiFi. Private network also did not work. "Unable to connect." Same network I am typing to you on... so it's not me!

No Roku now. Now I'm pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

Unplugged the unit for 1 minute. It found my WiFi, finally!

Things are working, for now. But not watched my Sling yet either. iHeart Radio channel works, so far. Will update in a day or 2.
0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

Interesting... My Roku Remote on my phone is having trouble connecting to my Roku this evening. Read above... had internet connection issues earlier, after my soft, then hard resets. Yep, all 3 things (Roku 3900x, WiFi Router and this smartphone) now are on the same exact WiFi that I am typing to you on. There's definitely an internet issue with the 3900x, if nothing else. Other devices play video fine and do not freeze.
0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

Tanner/Roku team:

My Roku channel was Sling> A&E>Scientology Show with Leah Remini. After 1 episode, the Roku froze for a minute and rebooted. Once again, showing the steps above were NOT effective. The CC was also a bit off too. iHeart Radio was doing strange things after the resets (hard and soft) too.

Any more suggestions? Same software Version as above. Yes, after the factory reset, it got updated. Showing "up time" as 4 minutes.

???
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a private message with more information including your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About. 

I'll follow up with you directly to gather more information and assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

"RokuDanny-R" wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a private message with more information including your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About. 

I'll follow up with you directly to gather more information and assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

PM sent.
0 Kudos
junkboxx
Level 9

You said someone will get back to me shortly, within your PM. What does "shortly" mean? About 24 hrs now. Still waiting. Watching TV on other devices, in the meantime... and documenting, as I go.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

We apologize for the delay. Please keep any eye on your inbox, someone from our support team will be reaching out to you today.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos