Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lopes22
Level 7

Channels Disappeared Then Were Reinstalled

I came home yesterday, turn on my TV, and the Roku 'My Channels' screen appears showing I only have 3 channels installed. I had around 35 the night before. So I wonder if there was an update or something that might be the cause. I go to the check for updates screen and I select the check updates option and a dialog pops up saying it's reinstalling all the missing channels. After it's done, I have all my channels back but any saved information was gone and I had to setup all the authentication again for HBO Go, Netflix, etc.

So I'm just trying to find out what happened. Is this normal behavior for channel updating?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Channels Disappeared Then Were Reinstalled

You sure nobody in your house was playing around with the player, and un-linked and re-linked the account, or changed the account? Or did someone maybe reset to factory defaults, and never finish the process?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lopes22
Level 7

I live alone so no one else had access. There has only ever been one account linked. Just seems like really random behavior. I don't understand how doing an update check made the Roku realize all my channels were missing and start reinstalling them. I would just like to prevent it from happening again in the future if possible. I lost all my Angry Birds progress :cry:
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Ugh, that stinks.. Hope it was just a fluke!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"jeffrok" wrote:
You sure nobody in your house was playing around with the player, and un-linked and re-linked the account, or changed the account? Or did someone maybe reset to factory defaults, and never finish the process?

That does sound exactly like an unlink situation. That can be done without accessing the device -- you can unlink via the Roku Website (My Account) -- and after a recycle (check for updates, for instance), you'll get that behavior.

OP: might anyone else has access to the Roku account, if not the device?

Regardless, it's as if the device was unlinked, and relinked.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RickRansom
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
it's as if the device was unlinked, and relinked.

+1
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
lopes22
Level 7

Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it. No one else has access to the account or Roku. I'm glad this behavior is consistent with the unlink, then re-link situation and not just some random malfunction of the device. I looked at My Account on the Roku site, and it says my account was linked back in May which is correct. I'm not sure if this only shows the first time it was linked, or the most recent linking, but it looks like my account was never unlinked at least through the expected ways.

There was maintenance worker in my apartment the day this happened while I was at work, so technically someone else did have access. I highly doubt though that would be the cause, none of the remotes were moved, and I doubt he would go through the trouble of messing with my Roku. Maybe there was a power surge due to the work he was doing, and this caused the behavior? Maybe a software/hardware glitch caused the Roku to think it was unlinked?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"lopes22" wrote:
...There was maintenance worker in my apartment the day this happened while I was at work, so technically someone else did have access. I highly doubt though that would be the cause, none of the remotes were moved, and I doubt he would go through the trouble of messing with my Roku. Maybe there was a power surge due to the work he was doing, and this caused the behavior? Maybe a software/hardware glitch caused the Roku to think it was unlinked?

If an update, a reboot, and no Internet connections all happened around the same time (say, an update interrupted by a power outage) then it may cause the situation you encountered. If it couldn't validate your account (interrupted update, no Internet to correct it), it might act as an unlinked device until it was able to re-sync and re-link. A check of your last update date/time might verify if the timing supports this.

Apart from that, it could be one of the great mysteries of life.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Dick_Drivel
Level 7

Sounds like a case of divine intervention - time to call in Mulder and Scully...
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Level 7

This has happened to me before as well.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41245&p=278107
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP