Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Channels Crashing While Idle After 30-60 Minutes

I've started having issues with multiple channels crashing while idle for 30-60 minutes. This just recently started happening after Roku pushed the new Stay At Home theme. So far I've noticed this behavior with Disney+, Hulu, and BritBox. Plex appears to be fine. I've already tried troubleshooting any network issues but they are not the issue. I also removed an SD card that apparently never formatted correctly during initial setup a few months ago, but that wasn't the issue either. All my channels and the Roku itself are up to date.

Here's an example flow:
- I searched for Good Eats Reloaded
- I picked Hulu from the list of options
- I watched a couple episodes
- I put the next episode on pause and did a few household chores
- After a few minutes, the Hulu logo screensaver was showing
- When I came back after an hour, the fishtank screensaver was showing instead
- When I woke up the Roku, it was back at the search results screen with the cursor over Hulu

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Channels Crashing While Idle After 30-60 Minutes

If you think it's a theme issue, you can go into Settings/Theme/Custom Settings and disabling "Enable featured themes."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@andyross wrote:

If you think it's a theme issue, you can go into Settings/Theme/Custom Settings and disabling "Enable featured themes."

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

It's possible that this is the expected behavior for some channels based on what I'm reading elsewhere, but it's odd that it appears to be variable for the length of time it takes before a channel auto-closes if that's the case. Is there a description anywhere of the auto-close behaviors for the various major channels?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Looks like that wasn't the sole contributor, but it seems like it took longer before channels closed out.

0 Kudos