Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayporok3
Level 7

Channel screen displays, but unresponsive to any of our remotes.

Opens Home screen, but neither of our  remotes will navigate. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Channel screen displays, but unresponsive to any of our remotes.

Need more detail. What model Roku device is this? Most Roku devices, including TVs, come with IR remotes. That means the remote has to have a clear line of sight to the front of the Roku. If it's a Stick or Ultra, they come with a WiFi Direct remote that must be paired with the Roku. But that pairing should have been accomplished when the Roku was first set up.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mayporok3
Level 7

It is an Ultra that worked famously for two years, then it started not responding several days ago. It also doesn't respond to a second Roku remote used elsewhere in the house. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Mayporok3 wrote:

It is an Ultra that worked famously for two years, then it started not responding several days ago. It also doesn't respond to a second Roku remote used elsewhere in the house. 

OK, once paired the remote isn't going to control a different Roku unless it's also paired with the other one. So you really can't take a WiFi remote from one player and test it on another. I've heard but can't confirm that once they've been WiFi paired, the IR function is turned off. No idea if that's accurate.

The first thing to check of course is the batteries in the remote. Make sure they're good, and pay attention to the way they are inserted. Some Roku remotes have both batteries pointed the same way, while others have them reversed. If one is in backwards, it naturally won't work. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mayporok3
Level 7

Actually, I have used both remotes on both TVs in the past, so checking the problem with the other remote was probably useful. I of course checked the batteries -- and unplugged and restarted the Roku box and the TV a couple of times. Plus, pushed the box reset switch. Tried a different HDMI cable and one of the ither HDMI ports. I believe the box has gone bad...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Mayporok3 wrote:

Actually, I have used both remotes on both TVs in the past, so checking the problem with the other remote was probably useful. I of course checked the batteries -- and unplugged and restarted the Roku box and the TV a couple of times. Plus, pushed the box reset switch. Tried a different HDMI cable and one of the other HDMI ports. I believe the box has gone bad...

Certainly possible. When you pressed the reset button, did you hold it for a minimum of 30 seconds? If not, the reset wasn't complete and a bad setting could still be there. You have to hold it that long, regardless of what's happening on the screen.

Dan
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@atc98092 wrote:

I've heard but can't confirm that once they've been WiFi paired, the IR function is turned off. No idea if that's accurate.

Anecdotal evidence.  The RC-AL 7 remote that came with my Streaming Stick + is paired to my stick.  When I pointed it to my phone's camera and a Roku key is pressed, nothing registers on the camera.  When a tv control button which results in an IR signal is pressed, it DOES register on the camera.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos