Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anhrdh
Channel Surfer

CLOC Screensaver freezing on screen & missing weather info

After Roku's removal of all 'private' channels we have reverted to the regular version of "CLOC." It still has the settings to input your zip for the weather info, however, once the screensaver actually kicks on only the time pops up. The weather info is still missing after restarting the Roku as well as removing & adding back the channel. In addition to the missing weather info the screensaver is freezing frequently. This is by far the best time & temperature screensaver on Roku & I am wondering if these issues are going to be remedied? Thanks for any information!

@renojim

nevillem
Reel Rookie

Re: CLOC Screensaver freezing on screen & missing weather info

The Private version of the Cloc Screensaver was the solution to a broken version from Roku. At this point, we're out-of-luck with a working screensaver with weather, and without frequent lock-ups.

B_BB
Reel Rookie

Re: Channel access | CLOC screensaver removal

Add me to the list of those who would happily pay.  I mean, I just paid $3.99 to install the WeatherFaux screensaver, only to find out that the main screenshot is misleading. The white text goes over bright, HD backgrounds, not only is it not very readable but the colorful backgrounds destroy the purpose of a screensaver for me, it's like leaving your TV on 24/7.

I can't even find a good clock screensaver; the Roku one works well but is too bright. The basic Cloc pauses on me too often, which is a problem b/c it's sometimes what I rely on to tell time after jumping out of bed.

mrdctaylor
Binge Watcher

Yep!  99% of the screensavers are **bleep**.  Roku REALLY needs to get rid of most of them.

rdharrison

While I never have gotten around to building any channels myself, knowing that I or anyone else could do so--even if they weren't included in Roku's public channel listings---is what made Roku feel like a worthwhile platform for me.  "Made", past tense.  @renojim , are there any other platforms, either well-established or up-and-coming, that you consider to have the openness and flexibility that Roku once did, and that you would consider a worthy successor to Roku?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: CLOC Screensaver freezing on screen & missing weather info

@nevillem wrote:

The Private version of the Cloc Screensaver was the solution to a broken version from Roku. At this point, we're out-of-luck with a working screensaver with weather, and without frequent lock-ups.

The broken version isn't from Roku.   It's from me, too.  Smiley Happy

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@rdharrison, I haven't really looked into developing for other platforms.  I've tried Amazon and Google devices, but I don't really like them.  They both allow you to sideload as far as I know, but Android development isn't something that's been all that appealing to me.  I keep saying I'm going to start, but I never get around to it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bellsfolly83
Binge Watcher

The freezing issue "struck" me today, on the very first full day of using the regular CLOC screensaver.  I got home this evening about 7pm to find the clock on the tv frozen at 3:34. Argh. Smiley Mad

I have installed the Clever Clocks package (for one-time charge of $2.99) as a temporary replacement until @renojim is able to get CLOC repaired & replaced 😉  I don't like the Clever Clocks nearly as well, but at least it gives you several choices--and it does have the temperature for your zip code, so that's something.

I have the retro "flip clock" on (which always reminds me of Groundhog Day) Smiley LOL and it has the temperature up in the corner.  I like the idea of the Nixie clock, but it's just too bright on the screen for my eyes.

Anyway, it's...something, until ol' familiar is back.  Smiley Wink

B_BB
Reel Rookie

Thanks for this tip.  I had tried the Nixie Clock (as a free, standalone screensaver) and it also didn't work for me (and there was no temperature displayed), so I didn't want to pay for the full Clever Clocks package after that.  

But I just did, and it is well worth it for now.

Jamesray50
Channel Surfer

I might give clever clocks a try. I like seeing the temperature when I go to bed so I know whether to open the windows. I really liked the cuckoo sound on CLOC. It never woke me in the middle of the night and during the day it reminded me of the hour.

0 Kudos