Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Channel Won't Load

I subscribed to a particular channel through Roku and watched programs there the first day. The next day that channel wouldn't load. The little loading icon just keeps spinning. All other channels load fine. I unplugged the Roku and replugged it. That didn't help.  My Roku model is 2720X. Because I have an old TV, the Roku hooks up though a TERK Mini-Modulator with old-fashioned male plugs. I've spoken with technical support at the channel, but they could find nothing on their end, and I can watch the channel fine on my laptop.

Any suggestions for how to fix the problem would be appreciated. Alternatively, if there a newer Roku that would do the job better and work with the TERK, let me know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Channel Won't Load

@Super-Stuck 

Thanks for the post.

What channel are you having issues with?

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for your reply, Danny. Unfortunately, when I go to Options, the only choice is to "Unsubscribe." A "Remove Channel" choice isn't present. The channel that won't load is The Great Courses Plus. When I talked to their tech support, they said I couldn't remove and then re-add the channel because I was going through Roku, not them. I worked with them at the highest level of support before coming here, at their suggestion.

Is it possible that it's happening because my Roku is old? As noted in the initial post, I have an old TV and needed to have the Roku go through a converter using male plugs on both ends, not a USB. Is there a newer model which would work with my TV and converter? It's true that all the other channels load, but I have noticed that one channel, CBS All Access, is very slow to load. I should note that the I checked to see if my Roku is fully updated, and it was.

Given the above, would it help if I Unsubscribed to the channel and then Re-Subscribed? I would hate to do that because then I would have to pay for another subscription, though I think they would give me some kind of credit.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Super-Stuck 

Thanks for the information.

Considering that your device is older, have you inquired with the channel provider if they still support your device? Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

For troubleshooting purposes, you can trying to attach your device to another TV through HDMI to see if the channel is able to load properly, although I believe this won't be the case.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos