Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Woodie
Level 8

Casting iOS to tv for The Chosen app

Unable to see my Roku streaming stick devices when trying to cast The Chosen app content to my tv in 2 different rooms. Have tried on 2 different wireless nets and two different iPhones. Have restarted, reinstalled, updated etc everything and nothing works. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Casting iOS to tv for The Chosen app

AirPlay to a Roku requires two things: a supported Roku device, and both the Roku and the iOS device are connected to the same network. This network must be using a private IP address range, and there must be no security settings on the network that block connected devices from seeing each other. 

Remember that AirPlay is not "casting". It is screen sharing, so whatever is playing on the iOS device is merely displayed on the Roku as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Woodie
Level 8

Thanks Dan. Unless I misunderstand, I have been using the Angel Roku channel not Airplay previously successfully. Also removed the Angel channel to try and reload/refresh it and now can't find channel again.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I searched the Roku channel store and did find a channel called Angel TV. I don't know if that's the one you were using. I also don't know if it has geographical restrictions on its availability. 

Dan

Woodie
Level 8

That's not the one. Angel Studios, or, VidAngel are the appropriate apps/channels

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, I looked up VidAngel. According to their support site, they don't have a Roku channel, but they do appear to support screen mirroring, although they are using the term "cast" inaccurately. Reading the instructions, it appears they actually have a private channel for Roku that can be installed via the app on your phone. See this page for more complete setup instructions. 

Dan

Woodie
Level 8

Thanks again Dan. VidAngel is actually a different app from the same developer which allows a user to selectively edit movies and videos to eliminate various levels of language and other unacceptable items of actions or speech as it plays.

Angel Studios is a streaming/mirroring channel for viewing their programs. When I removed it from my Roku home menu I could not find it again to reinstall. Is it possible that some channels are not, or no longer, compatible with my streaming sticks?

0 Kudos
atc98092

I just did a search for Angel Studios and I see that they are a spinoff from VidAngel. But I can't find how they offer access on a Roku. I don't know if it's done via the instructions on the other site I found previously. You might need to reach out to them and ask for assistance.

Yes, providers do have the ability to restrict the Roku models that their channels are available on. But using the channel store on the web site bypasses that check, so if it's in the public channel store it would appear there. So it's probably a private channel, as the VidAngel channel is. They'll need to advise you how to install them. 

Dan

0 Kudos