Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcb01
Level 7

Casting Netflix to Roku streaming stick

Has anyone used the feature where you cast content to your Roku using your phone, in either Netflix or Youtube? I have the Roku streaming stick and while casting works in Youtube, it doesn't in Netflix. I get the error "timed out while contacting target device (16001)". Just to clarify, this is when I open Netflix on my android phone and select the cast icon in the top right, then choose my Roku device from the list.

Similar issue occurs on a second Android device as well as my PC. Only difference is that the android devices actually show the Roku but just can't connect, whereas the PC doesn't even have the Roku listed as an option (this is in the Chrome browser).

It works fine by browsing to a title normally on the Roku directly, it's just casting that doesn't work. And only in Netflix. The Roku has the latest software and I've rebooted it.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
23rdDjin
Level 7

Re: Casting Netflix to Roku streaming stick

myself, i don't cast anything as i have no need to, but i have noted others occasionally having problems. however, what strikes my curiosity: why cast Netflix and YouTube from a separate device when the ROKU itself has both readily available?

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
mcb01
Level 7

Personal preference, sometimes it's convenient to browse on a mobile device and send it to the Roku.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"23rdDjin" wrote:
myself, i don't cast anything as i have no need to, but i have noted others occasionally having problems. however, what strikes my curiosity: why cast Netflix and YouTube from a separate device when the ROKU itself has both readily available?

The Roku YouTube app is particularly horrible.  It is FAR easier to find what you want on the phone and "cast" (What a horrible name) it to the device.  I think the Chromecast is the worst streaming device in history however I still see the need for the function for Roku YouTube.
0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Level 7

I am having the same problem, I can't cast from my iPhone or iPad to Roku using the Netflix apps. It works fine when I cast to my home theater, which makes me think it's a roku issue... not a Netflix or phone issue. I am using a Roku Streaming Stick. Also, I noticed that it doesn't work with google cast (chrome's built in cast features either. Which is supposed to work with YouTube and Netflix because it relies on the DIAL (discovery and launch) protocol.
0 Kudos
gtspaulding
Level 7

Has anyone managed to fix this problem (Netflix not casting to the Roku Streaming Stick) ?
0 Kudos
jdavis1510
Level 7

I too have this issue with the Netflix App on Android connecting to the Roku Stick... Netflix sees it for casting, it brings up the Netflix Screen, but then drops into a login screen on the TV and that same error message on the Netflix App. Netflix IS logged in on Roku, and I can access it fine through the remote, it only fails when i want to control Netflix through the app. Hoping someone from Roku could answer this issue or point to a solution.
0 Kudos
leekun1389
Level 7

I logged out from netflix app in iphone and logged in back. Now the app has connected to Roku TV. Phew what a relief!!
0 Kudos
droidmark
Level 7

Reviving this old thread to see if there is any new information.  I'm trying to cast from an Android phone to a Roku stick and getting the same timeout error as others have posted.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Forum Rules

Please start a new thread.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos