Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Captions on replay won’t turn off in Youtube TV

Jump to solution

I have a two Roku Ultra devices. Both are have the same issue. The captions show on ALL shows we have saved (recorded) with the device on the YouTubeTV channel. This recently started maybe a week ago. I have never turned this option on. When I first noticed it, somehow “captions mode” setting “on replay” was turned on. I turned it off. They continued to appear on all shows we watch on the YouTubeTV channel. Even on shows that were recorded months ago. I have reset the Roku, removed the YouTubeTV channel, reinstalled it, checked the caption setting again, reset the Roku device, etc. Nothing seems to work, the captions persist. 

Another issue, when using the YouTube channel, many times a day, it will lose the connection to YouTube and stop playing and I have exit and restart the video. Happens too many times to mention. Very frustrating to say the least.

I have cable internet running about 130 Mbps which should be plenty of speed. I never had issues with an AppleTV device connected. I replaced it because I did not like the way the remote Control worked. 

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Closed captioning will not turn off

Jump to solution

@GeezerX2 wrote:

Thanx for the reply.

We are having the issue with YouTube TV

We don't watch any live TV as a general rule.  We watch thru DVR.

The channels we watch, and all of these are "locked on" CC:  CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, PBS

I just now checked all these channels on DVR and confirmed them all, but these are the only channels I checked.

Anxious for a solution, Thanx again!!!

@GeezerX2  This past week, we had the same problem with closed captioning coming on YouTube TV for no reason - so annoying. This fixed it for us: put on a recorded show in YouTube TV, press the down arrow, see the progress bar, hit down arrow again, use arrows to get to the no captions box, check it, may need to hit ok.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Add our family as frustrated users................ Same thing has been going on with us for a few days.  We checked our devices just as others have.  Glad to see the problem is not just with us!

The community discussion is a big help in understanding what is going on!

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Captions on replay won’t turn off

Jump to solution

I failed to mention, all updates have been installed, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the same issues with the captions on replay not turning off and mine started the same time yours did.  I did the same things you did to get it to stop with no luck.  And I am totally frustrated that there is no way to reach ROKU.  What a junky company that has no support available after you spend the money to buy their product.  I am FED UP with ROKU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I thought it may have something to do Do with a recent update, since I have the same issue on both of my Roku devices. Now that you are experiencing the same issue, I feel this may certainly be the problem. I’m curious to see if any other people are having this same issue. Hope we can find a solution. I spent over $200 buying both of them. 
Looks like I’ll be going back to my AppleTV devices and have a couple Roku’s listed on another forum...  I’m very disappointed in Roku...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@TrigDigger @lindabrame 

Thanks for the note regarding closed captions on the Youtube TV Channel.

Is this the only channel that you are experiencing this issue? Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanx for the reply.

We are having the issue with YouTube TV

We don't watch any live TV as a general rule.  We watch thru DVR.

The channels we watch, and all of these are "locked on" CC:  CBS, FOX, NBC, CNN, PBS

I just now checked all these channels on DVR and confirmed them all, but these are the only channels I checked.

Anxious for a solution, Thanx again!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@TrigDigger @lindabrame 

Thanks for the note regarding closed captions on the Youtube TV Channel.

Is this the only channel that you are experiencing this issue? Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

I have the same issue with the YouTube TV channel not allowing me to turn off the closed captioning. I tried Danny’s suggestion and it didn’t work. I still have the closed captioning showing and I can’t turn it off in the settings of the the recorded program.

When I try to access the menu setting to turn it off. It won’t allow me to select the off button. Then the remote freezes. In that it won’t allow me to back out of the menu or do anything else. Without pressing the home button to go back to the roku main screen.

Though, since this is sounding more like a YouTube TV issue than a Roku issue. (Since it is only happening with the YouTube TV channel shows.) I am going to report the issue to their support as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

In response to everyone complaining that this is a Roku issue. It is NOT a Roku issue.

i just had a chat with the YouTube TV people and it is an issue with their channel. They are aware of the issue and working on fixing.

Just an FYI, i have three Roku devices and never had an issue with anyone of them. Any issue I ever had has been with the streaming channel.

Check with YouTube TV on this issue.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi Danny, thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried that two times and the issue persists. Not sure what else to do. I also read in another message to try removing the Amazon Prime channel and do the same thing. I tried that as well. BOTH of my Roku Ultras are doing the same thing. I have one in living area and one in the bedroom, both have the identical issue, and it appeared at the same time. This tells me it could be a software update that was installed automatically?? I’m not sure but I’m sure frustrated with this. Lol  Thanks for any ideas you may have 

David

0 Kudos