Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drbass2
Level 7

Caption problem mainly with Amazon Prime....

sorry if this has been discussed before, as I am new here....when using my ROKU:

the captions on Amazon Prime drive me crazy:  they start, stop, freeze, disappear, etc.  I depend on them as  I have a hearing impairment. 

the odd thing is that they don't do this when I am on Netflix.....so, I am thinking:  is it a ROKU problem, or an Amazon problem?

those are the only two channels that I stream on the ROKU box......what I need is direction:  is this a common/old problem, is it specifically Amazon Prime, is it because I have an older ROKU box, etc, and so on.....where do I begin?

I might add:  it never used to do this when I first starting using the box 4 or 5 years ago....this is a fairly recent development....

thanks in advance!!!!!!

JOHN
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Caption problem mainly with Amazon Prime....

If an unexpected behavior happens on one app but not another, it's likely the app that's the cause or a major contributor to the issue.

I, too, use captions all the time. I've not noticed an issue with captions on the Amazon content I've watched recently. That may indicate it's the particular video that has problems with the captions.

If you listed say, three Amazon items (best if they were Prime content, so anyone could test) perhaps we could see if we can replicate the issue, or if it might be isolated to your particular situation.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

I haven't used it for awhile, but the last time I tried using captions with Prime (I was watching a Japanese show), they are rather small and hard to read. I didn't see any way to resize it.
0 Kudos
drbass2
Level 7

it doesn't really matter which content, take any movie, it does it with all of them......funny thing is, it usually starts out okay, and then by maybe a 1/2 hour into the movie that is when it starts....

another problem is that it doesn't respond when you ask it to pause, or fast/rewind....then a half a minute later it  suddenly responds....the reason I mention this is because pausing the movie , going back to the info page and then starting it up again, often will get the captions back....but they eventually start going unglued again, soon after that. 

What I could do is download a movie from Amazon Prime on my computer, and see if the same thing occurs, I think I will try this next and let you know how that turns out. 
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"drbass2" wrote:
it doesn't really matter which content, take any movie, it does it with all of them......funny thing is, it usually starts out okay, and then by maybe a 1/2 hour into the movie that is when it starts....

another problem is that it doesn't respond when you ask it to pause, or fast/rewind....then a half a minute later it  suddenly responds....the reason I mention this is because pausing the movie , going back to the info page and then starting it up again, often will get the captions back....but they eventually start going unglued again, soon after that. 

What I could do is download a movie from Amazon Prime on my computer, and see if the same thing occurs, I think I will try this next and let you know how that turns out. 

Let's get some more information about your Roku device. You say it's an older box. Well, how old? What is the model number? If it was a new device between 4 & 5 years ago (if I read your first post correctly) you could be talking about a Roku 1 (2710), Roku 2 (2720), Roku 3 (4200), or a Stick (3500). Again, it may be best to tell us which device, to include the model number.

And, as previously mentions, since it only happens on the Amazon app, that may indicate the problem is there. What version of the app are you using? That could impact things. One thing you could try is to remove the Amazon app, reboot the Roku, add the Amazon app and re-link it to your account.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
drbass2
Level 7

it's a roku 2, model 2720X....now:  I just watched an entire movie while on Amazon prime on my computer and not once did the caption problem occur, so, it can't be the streaming from the original Amazon source.....

next would have to be to try what you just suggested, basically, you want me to erase the app, re-boot the Roku box and then try adding back Amazon as a channel...right?

BTW:  I really appreciate your sticking with this thing and your input!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"drbass2" wrote:
it's a roku 2, model 2720X....now:  I just watched an entire movie while on Amazon prime on my computer and not once did the caption problem occur, so, it can't be the streaming from the original Amazon source.....

You'd think that, but here's the thing... larger services use different servers and therefore different files to serve up content depending of the device. That is, they'll use one set of servers to offer up content to computers, another to mobile devices, another to Roku, another to Apple TV, etc. So, yeah, it looks that way, but this still can't be ruled out, because of how the content is served up.
"drbass2" wrote:
next would have to be to try what you just suggested, basically, you want me to erase the app, re-boot the Roku box and then try adding back Amazon as a channel...right?

That's correct. If there is something about your installation of the app, say something got corrupted during an update, for instance, the reboot after removing an app will ensure it's fully cleaned off the box. A re-installation then is a clean one.

One other thing, that age box may be beginning to show its age with certain apps. I have family members using devices from that same time, and they still work well. If the remove/reboot/reinstall fixes it, maybe you'll get many more years of service from that device.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos