Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wwsteen
Level 8

Cannot stream from AppleTV+ (other channels fine)

Cannot stream from Apple+ channel. All other channels (Netflix, Prime) work fine.
Roku Ultra 4640X, Serial YP00A893345, Ethernet connection, but also tried wireless, “Settings” reports download speed 85Mbps; tried (with permission) three community wireless systems after Ethernet failed. No joy
Apple TV+ channel downloaded and installed flawlessly. Setup easy. Shows signed in to free subscription expiring July 17, 2021
Have tried restarting Roku 3 times, reinstalling Apple TV+ app twice, No joy.
Tried deleting and reinstalling AppleTV+ channel, no joy.
Tried different methods of loggin into Apple account
Tried changing Ethernet cord
I have no problem with the AppleTV+ on my iPad. Streams fine wirelessly from same router as I am using from my Roku.
IPad will play AppleTV+ flawlessly to my Sony TV directly with Airplay2, using same router as connected to Roku
Message when I try to stream from Roku is “Video Not Available...problem loading...check...internet”

Have latest ROKU operating software and firmware.  Roku OS 9.3.0

Tried “Limit Playback to SD”, no joy.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kasabe
Level 8

Re: Cannot stream from AppleTV+ (other channels fine)

Having the same exact issue with Roku 4660RW.  Did all the same troubleshoot steps.  The only other thing I can think is HDCP Compliant issues.  Do you have the ability to swap the HDMI cable with another one. There is a rare occurrence when the HDMI cable itself is not HDCP compatible and causes the communication issue between Roku and TV.  Also if the Roku is going through a switch or reciever that is another potential hang-up.  Try directly connecting Roku to the TV with the same and different HDMI cable and see if that does anything.  I would LOVE to try the same thing but my Roku and my Projector are too far apart for me to do the same thing.  Let me know if you do that what happens.

0 Kudos
Wwsteen
Level 8

Thanks for your reply.  I am a little bit comforted by the fact that it’s not some simple thing I just didn’t think of.  

You suggested that this might be a problem caused by running the Roku through an AVR or by a defective HDCP cable.  I doubt that, because the AVR and HDCP cable are doing just fine connecting the Roku to use Netflix, Prime, and other Roku channels.  Also—when trying to connect with AppleTV+, the Roku seems to make a connection to provide my credentials to Apple, but then shows the loading icon for several revolutions before finally giving me the “check internet” message I described in my original message.  But what the heck.....I can probably try this.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
kasabe
Level 8

Hi there,

It sounds like you may be confusing HDCP with HDMI.  HDCP is the copy protection info that is transmitted by each device over the HDMI Cable.  When devices communicate over HDMI they perform a "handshake" to setup communication between each other.   HDCP is designed to create a secure connection between a source and a sink (display) and any devices in-between.  IF not all components in the chain are the same version of HDCP Compliant, it will fail.  Currently the latest standard is HDCP 2.2.  These means the Roku, your receiver and the TV all need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant to correctly communicate 4K content.  My suspicion is that How the Apple App is written, doesn't initiate the "handshake" correctly with your receiver and the sink (display).  I also wonder if the cable is also a viable link in that chain, although I don't think the cable should be, but an easy thing to check by swapping it out, just to eliminate it.  

kasabe
Level 8

SOLVED IT!

I have a Denon AVR-X6500H Receiver.  The AppleTV+ App premium content is most likely being sent out 4K HDR.  The Receiver and the TV need to be configured to allow HDR content through.  In my receiver, I had to configure the 4K Signal Format setting.  For Denon here is the steps (your receiver should have a similar setting assuming it allows 4K HDR):

• Access Denon Receiver Setup Menu
  • Select "Video"
  • 1.jpg

• SELECT "4K SIGNAL FORMAT"
  • 2.jpg
  • IT SHOULD SAY “STANDARD”.  WE NEED TO CHANGE THIS TO “ENHANCED”
  • 3.jpg
  • CHANGE TO ENHANCED
  • 4.jpg
  • This worked for me and I am happy its finally working. 
  • IF this doesnt work, You MAY also have a similar setting in your Projector or Flat Panel Display you have to change, but I am pretty confident if this setting is changed in your receiver, this SHOULD fix the problem.  
  • Let me know if this helps
0 Kudos
Wwsteen
Level 8

THANK YOU!!!!!!!  It was working (with slight glitches) connected directly to the TV, so I wanted to continue to test that connection method for a while.  BUT....I started having trouble there as well, and just switched to your solution.  IT WORKS fine so far.  Thanks.

You not only offered a viable solution, but gave GREAT instructions for the solution....the screen capture especially was great.  My menu was slightly different, but I got the idea easily.

Thanks again,

Wes

kasabe
Level 8

Awesome! Glad it worked.  

0 Kudos
ADTV20
Level 9

I'm having the exact same issue with Apple TV+, "Video Not Available ....check internet connection". although I'm not having the issue with trailers and certain other AppleTV+ content e.g. Oprah. It does seem to occur with 4k content. My Roku Ultra is connected directly to my flat screen LG TV which is not a 4K/HDR flat screen.  Is there a solution for TV's that are not 4k/HDR?  

0 Kudos
ADTV20
Level 9

Re: Update Cannot stream from AppleTV+ (other channels fine)

There is a setting in the Apple TV+ app to limit playback to SD. Turning this setting to "on" enables playback of Apple TV+ content that is in a HDR format without the "Video Not Available ....check internet connection" error message

It's a pity Apple only directs you to just troubleshoot the internet connection rather than suggesting checking this SD feature also as it has nothing to do with the internet connection.     

Tags (3)
suzyhen
Level 9

Re: Update Cannot stream from AppleTV+ (other channels fine)

Changing setting in the Apple TV+ app to limit playback to SD. Turning this setting to "on" worked!!

0 Kudos