Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gosherm
Reel Rookie

Cannot play VOD titles in Roku Channel

I'm currently unable to play any VOD titles in the Roku Channel on any of my Roku devices or through the Roku app on my Android phone. Live TV streams play just fine, as does VOD content from every other channel. If I disconnect from my home network, I can play the VOD titles over my mobile connection or a neighbor's wifi (not a long-term solution), so I'm sure that it's something related to my network. However, I have not been able to find any logs or useful error messages to help me figure out what I may need to adjust, so I am reaching out here for help.

Symptoms:

* CANNOT play Roku Channel VOD titles on my local network on device or in app

* CAN play Roku Channel live content on my local network

* CAN play Roku Channel content (VOD and live) on other networks (mobile, neighbor's wifi)

* CAN play Roku Channel VOD (and live) content through Chrome browser on Android phone and desktop PC.

* CAN play VOD content from all my other channels on local network

Steps I have tried, all unsuccessfully:

* Uninatall, reboot, reinstall the Roku Channel (on devices and phone)

* Different TV, cables, and power outlets

* Reboot of modem, router, and AP

* Factory reset of modem, router, and AP

* Playing different VOD titles

* Playing titles while not logged in to my Roku account 

* Updating to the latest firmware

* Factory reset of Roku

* Putting the player in the DMZ of my router

* Chat with Roku support agent who did not reconnect with me after having me do something that would disconnect the chat, despite saying it would happen

Hardware/Software Configuration:

* Roku 2, 4210X. v9.4.0:4210. Wired connection.

* Roku 3, 4200X. v10.0.0:4185. Wireless connection, 2.4GHz band. 

* Roku Ultra, 4660X, v9.4.0:4210. Wireless connection, 5GHz band.

* Samsung Galaxy 9+, Android 10. Roku App 7.6.0.581422. Wireless connection, 5GHz band.

* Xfinity internet, continental US-based, account registered in the US. No VPN.

Example titles:

* Alias, Stick It (there were more, those are just the two that I remember the names of)

I am really at wit's end here without being able to generate any log files to dig deeper, and would really appreciate any help.

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Gosherm
Reel Rookie

Re: Cannot play VOD titles in Roku Channel

Oops, forgot to include what is meant by "cannot play."

* Roku hardware: Hitting play blanks the screen for part of a second before returning to the screen that was just being displayed

* Android app: Hitting play results in a generic error message, "Something went wrong during playback, please try again later," and then returning to the same screen when the error message is acknowledged 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gosherm

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you are seeing.

We would like to gather some information so we 

can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-can you provide specific titles of the content that you are experiencing this issue
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to look further into the issue for you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gosherm
Reel Rookie

Danny, thanks for helping me dig into this. Here is the info that you requested:

-Roku device model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
-Serial number: YJ00GC0676652
-Device ID: CK391C067652
-Software OS/version: 9.4.0 build 4210-46
-Channel & version/build: The Roku Channel 4.2 build 3

-Specific titles & Tracker IDs:

1. Alias, s01e01 / 58-178-914 (does not play)

2. Troy / 52-178-916 (does not play)

3. NBC News NOW / 52-178-918 (plays ok)

-Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Roku Channel

2. Browse to a title to play

3. Select title (get taken to title details page)

4. Click OK button on remote to select Play option on screen

5. Weep uncontrollably

6. Swear to never cut onions with a dull knife again. Just like the last 10 times. 😉

Seriously, it's not a life or death matter, not gonna get upset while getting this all sorted out. Thank you again for your ongoing help with this!

Matthew

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gosherm

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with the information that we have requested.

I have passed the information along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gosherm
Reel Rookie

Thanks, Danny. I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Dawn72IA
Reel Rookie

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Dawn72IA

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dawn72IA
Reel Rookie

Hello, my issue is exactly the same as the previous person. when I go to the Roku streaming content, I select a title. I then click play s 1 e1 and the page goes blank for half a second and the play season 1 episode 1 states loading again for a moment and it'll just keep doing that. This is on both my Roku stream bar that I bought in 2022 and my Roku ultra that I bought in 2022. I'm not sure of the years of the devices, but they were the most recent I could get. The Roku stream bar is on Wi-Fi and the Roku ultra is on Ethernet direct to the modem. I have factory reset the Roku ultra. I even used a different sign-on, same thing. Of course have restarted my modem multiple times. I've done pretty much everything I can possibly do. I checked my modem settings to make sure there was no kind of block or anything like that. This is on two different TVs and two completely different Roku systems. Has anyone actually tested this at Roku? Does it play when it's tested? It works on my mobile network just fine.  Everything else plays on every other platform and even the preview will play in the preview area of some of the same titles. Also I have tried about 20-30 different titles. The live streaming does work just not the items that are VOD.

0 Kudos
Dawn72IA
Reel Rookie

Did you ever get a solution? I have the same issue as you. Thanks

0 Kudos