Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbkath
Level 7

Cannot get espn3

I’m posting this to try and help my mom.  First off she has a TCL Roku Tv. She has the espn app, she also has a subscription to espn+ her tv provider is cox. She has both sports package 1 and sports package 2 with her cox package. When she goes to her espn app she can get everything on it except for anything that is playing on ESPN3.  She wants to watch the college baseball regionals that are coming up and they are all being shown on ESPN3. She even went and up graded to Cox’s Contour 2, still cannot get ESPN3 on the app through the Roku tv. She even tried getting it directly from the ESPN3 app that is on contour. She went to the espn app and went to their settings where it says account information Cox is listed as the tv provider and then under that her email address is where it says ESPN Account. She has logged out and has gone through the steps of logging back in where it gives the web address to go to, she enters the code that it gives her on the tv and then ask for her tv provider, then she signs in and everything comes back up and she continues to get everything but ESPN3, it says... “Media Not Allowed, access is not a part of your provider subscription”.   I have everything she has, Cox, contour2, the two sports packages.  I don not subscribe to espn+. I have a Roku device that I have hooked up to my tv and I have no problems getting ESPN3, go figure, lol. Ok, now, I also have cox as my internet provider and she does not. She has a different internet provider, would that make a difference? I don’t see how it would as they don’t ask for a internet provider, they ask for a tv provider. She called espn but they told her if it isn’t a issue with espn+ they couldn’t help her that she would need to call cox. She called cox that wasn’t much help either!! This is our last resort as of right now!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!! She is desperately trying to figure out what is wrong or if she is doing something wrong!!  Thank you in advance!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Cannot get espn3

1) Have her logout of both logins on the ESPN app (TV provider & ESPN+)  <-- Important!!

2) Have her remove the ESPN app (highlight app, press Options  (*) on remote, remove)

3) Have her restart the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/restart)  < Very important must do this here!!!

4) Have her add the ESPN app back

5) Have her select the locked content you want to watch on ESPN3, then follow the LINK exactly as typed (the links to activate ESPN and ESPN+ look identical, but arent - be careful when typing into browser that it doesnt autocomplete the OTHER link)

6) Have her select locked ESPN+ content, then follow the LINK exactly as typed (the links to activate ESPN and ESPN+ look identical, but arent - be careful when typing it into browser that it doesnt autocomplete the OTHER link)

0 Kudos
kbkath
Level 7

Thank you for replying.  As for starting the Roku back up again, she doesn’t have a Roku device, she has a Roku tv, so would you start the system ack up in the same way you would a Roku device?  My question I guess also is, does it matter if her internet is with a different provider than her tv provider?  Her tv provider is cox and her internet provider is kaplantel, of which is a small town local provider.  Cox says that ESPN3 is provided free to all cox internet providers that would explain I guess if she was trying to get it directly through the cox contour using the remote, but does that matter if she’s trying to get through the espn app itself on Roku? Trying to determine if she needs to go and spend more money on changing her internet provider, of which she really doesn’t want to, lol. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@kbkath wrote:

Thank you for replying.  As for starting the Roku back up again, she doesn’t have a Roku device, she has a Roku tv, so would you start the system ack up in the same way you would a Roku device?  My question I guess also is, does it matter if her internet is with a different provider than her tv provider?  Her tv provider is cox and her internet provider is kaplantel, of which is a small town local provider.  Cox says that ESPN3 is provided free to all cox internet providers that would explain I guess if she was trying to get it directly through the cox contour using the remote, but does that matter if she’s trying to get through the espn app itself on Roku? Trying to determine if she needs to go and spend more money on changing her internet provider, of which she really doesn’t want to, lol. Thanks!!

1) Yes - Settings/System/Power/System restart/restart

2) No - she can always also verify access/test by going to https://www.espn.com/watch/ and clicking on any game that says "ESPN3" and then selecting Cox

3) Sometimes TV Everywhere (TVE - this activation/authentication system with the links+codes that almost every TV channel content provider uses) fails or is buggy, in which case you have to call your TV Provider (e.g. Cox) and inform/troubleshoot with them.

0 Kudos