Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jadebox
Reel Rookie

Re: Cannot disable Amazon Prime auto play previews / trailers

Jump to solution

Yeah!!!! There is now an option to turn off Auto Previews in the Amazon Prime app! Go to the little gear icon at the top of the app then select "Auto Play."

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jadebox wrote:

Yeah!!!! There is now an option to turn off Auto Previews in the Amazon Prime app! Go to the little gear icon at the top of the app then select "Auto Play."

Good to know for those folks on the new Prime UI.

(Most folks are probably still on the old UI without auto-playing previews with app version 11.8.2021051411).

0 Kudos
Wehoho
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update!  I haven't been to the site since autoplay began.  Appreciate the info.

0 Kudos
medlibrarian
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@jadebox wrote:

This just turns off autoplay in general. 

0 Kudos
MPStreamer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just confirmed on my Roku...

My Amazon Prime app is version 11.8 - build 2021051411

The setting is named "Autoplay" but the text in that setting specifically says:

"Autoplay

Turning previews off will stop previews autoplaying on this device"

It was set to "on" by default when I checked, and switched it to "off".  I'm happy to report this does in fact disable those autoplaying previews. Thank goodness!

I don't know when my Roku updated to that version of the app, but the build # indicates it's only 10-11 days old, and probably less than that since it was pushed out.  I don't know if I would have checked that setting menu again if I hadn't seen the recent comment. I know I checked a while back and it wasn't there, so it's definitely new.

So thank you thank you thank you for checking that and pointing it out! It was driving me bananas... I'd just have to mute while using the app until I started whatever. It really discouraged me from browsing around in there because I hated all the random things that would start playing if I dared to pause for more than 1 second on anything.

0 Kudos
medlibrarian
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I stand corrected! I was looking at the browser and not the Roku. This is great. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MPStreamer wrote:

I just confirmed on my Roku...

My Amazon Prime app is version 11.8 - build 2021051411

The setting is named "Autoplay" but the text in that setting specifically says:

"Autoplay

Turning previews off will stop previews autoplaying on this device"

It was set to "on" by default when I checked, and switched it to "off".  I'm happy to report this does in fact disable those autoplaying previews. Thank goodness!

I don't know when my Roku updated to that version of the app, but the build # indicates it's only 10-11 days old, and probably less than that since it was pushed out.  I don't know if I would have checked that setting menu again if I hadn't seen the recent comment. I know I checked a while back and it wasn't there, so it's definitely new.

So thank you thank you thank you for checking that and pointing it out! It was driving me bananas... I'd just have to mute while using the app until I started whatever. It really discouraged me from browsing around in there because I hated all the random things that would start playing if I dared to pause for more than 1 second on anything.

Like many apps/app designs, the Prime app has (at least) two layers: 

1) platform layer (handles interfacing with the platform APIs/functions), updates via platform update mechanism and

2) UI layer (provides the UI functionality/appearance), updates on runtime/loadtime

This is how folks with the same app version can/may have different UI-layer versions (and thus different UIs, such as non-autoplay and auto-play).

The Prime app doesnt show any version information internally, either platform or UI layer (at least on the old UI).

The platform-layer update (11.8.2021051411) happened a week ago (5/18), though this in fact was a UI-layer (runtime/loadtime) update, not a platform-layer update, which is why you wouldnt have noticed it anyway.

Regardless, its good news for users.

0 Kudos
jadebox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Amazon addressed the issue much quicker then Netflix did.  And Netflix's auto preview is even more annoying.  I almost cancelled Netflix because of it.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jadebox wrote:

Amazon addressed the issue much quicker then Netflix did.  And Netflix's auto preview is even more annoying.  I almost cancelled Netflix because of it.

Autoplay in all forms is pretty bad and annoys just about everyone, especially as a default, and especially without controls.

But NetFlix does win the award for "most annoying autoplay function" with its current ongoing "details autoplay"  bug/function (whereupon the movie/show starts playing as soon as you view the details page) that they wont acknowledge or fix/provide controls for, despite it being reported to them for a year or two now.

0 Kudos
mjdindc

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if this has been removed?  I saw it there and set everything to NOT auto play but the option seems to have disappeared again when I am setting up a new ROKU.

0 Kudos