Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot disable Amazon Prime auto play previews / trailers

Jump to solution

The Amazon Prime app has suddenly started auto playing previews when navigating through the list of content.  The video starts with audio and cannot be stopped.  The only option to stop the intrusive audio assault is to mute the TV.  I've looked through every setting imaginable and can find no way to disable this annoying, overbearing "feature".  Is there no way to turn off auto play previews for the Amazon Prime app?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot disable Amazon Prime auto play previews / trailers

Jump to solution

The latest Prime app update (11.8.2021022414) rolled out a week ago, and this is the first I've heard of any UI change on the Roku platform.

I've only see this on the FireTV Prime app, and nowhere else (I checked all my Rokus and other streamers, and only the FS4K does this).

Perhaps Amazon is doing a slow staggered rollout of their latest Prime UI to other platforms , and you are a "prime selectee".

Regardless, you'll need to address this to Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The latest Prime app update (11.8.2021022414) rolled out a week ago, and this is the first I've heard of any UI change on the Roku platform.

I've only see this on the FireTV Prime app, and nowhere else (I checked all my Rokus and other streamers, and only the FS4K does this).

Perhaps Amazon is doing a slow staggered rollout of their latest Prime UI to other platforms , and you are a "prime selectee".

Regardless, you'll need to address this to Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

0 Kudos
MPStreamer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've been going nuts trying to figure out a way to disable this.  It just started on my Roku (I forget which model) a few days ago.

It's annoying - I can't even read the description of the movie or show before it starts blaring and playing the trailer. And some of them, the volume is MUCH higher than you'd expect which really amps up (pun intended) the annoyance factor.

I've resorted to quickly skimming through the list of movies because I know if I hover too long (about 1 second) on anything, it'll just pester me. Which means I'm probably skipping something I might be interested in because I'm basically judging each thing by the title and image.

If there's no way to disable that, I'll probably stop using the Roku for Amazon Prime, or at least use the website to add things to my watchlist instead of the Roku. But the Amazon website has it's own drawbacks.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Classic Amazon "Prime is our mismanaged dumpster fire" behavior - slowly roll out a new feature over weeks/months, dont provide the necessary access/controls for it, dont inform/train your own support teams about either the features/controls, and let whatever happens happen.

Well, at least Prime's subtitle backgrounds on Roku are now working properly....oh..wait..no...still cant figure it out...many years in...

BTW, what is the Prime app version for either of you? @autoplaysux @MPStreamer  (highlight the app, press Options (*)..)

On FireTV devices, this can be disabled in Settings/Preferences/Featured Content/Allow Video Autoplay for the FireTV player, though the Prime app only allows you to mute them (Settings/Previews/Mute Previews).

This would be the obvious place for a global setting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/settings/playback/ref=atv_set_playback  However, it doesnt exist.

Considering it took them 5 years to follows NetFlix's forced autoplay preview lead, and considering it took NF 4 years to finally allow users the ability to disable it, users can expect Prime to add such functionality in 2025.

Wehoho
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

These features must be developed by people who don't actually use the service.  It is so annoying.

MPStreamer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Amazon Prime version on the Roku is:

Version 11.8 - build 2021022414

(this is on my Roku Premiere+ 3921X - I haven't checked my other 3 Roku's of different vintage to see what the scoop is on those).

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MPStreamer wrote:

My Amazon Prime version on the Roku is:

Version 11.8 - build 2021022414

(this is on my Roku Premiere+ 3921X - I haven't checked my other 3 Roku's of different vintage to see what the scoop is on those).

So, it looks like they have primed everyone (pun intended) for the new autoplay UI with their latest update, and will do a slow staggered rollout.

If only they focused on real UI improvements like fixing the longtime subtitle background issue on Roku devices, or adding/returning bitrate/quality information to the playback UI to non-FireTV platforms, etc.

Definitely pressure Amazon about it (and the lack of controls) via their support process/forums.

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There's no way to turn it off.

It's forced.

This, after Netflix tried this, and eventually had to give in and put in a way to turn it off, after immense backlash.

art33
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same with You Tube channel!  It started autoplaying the thumbnail images last week.  It never did that before and while you can disable the auto play of a full video from launching (in the 'settings' on the You Tube channel), you cannot stop the auto play of the thumb nails.  I am sick of crazed animation every where I turn.  They are cramming it into every email now, and now this.  Just stop.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@art33

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos